Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will White People Riot?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Will White People Riot? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Will White People Riot? Empty
PostSubject: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:02 am

Will White People Riot?
Ridiculous question? Then stop asking it about black people.
MSNBC.com
Updated: 4:36 PM ET Oct 17, 2008

Oct. 20, 2008--"Would black people riot if Sen. Barack Obama didn't win the election?" That was the question a white man in Memphis recently asked a racial reconciliation group with which I am involved.
After five years of being a columnist for the daily paper in Memphis, I wasn't surprised by the absurdity of his query. Many whites still labor under the illusion that black folk act en masse and that if you ask the right one, you can get the official position of some 40 million people. If a few of us get angry, that logic allows, it must surely result in a riot.
Riot because we didn't get our way? Please. Black people have more than their share of experience with disappointment and dashed dreams. (See: King, Martin Luther; Evers, Medgar; Chaney, James.) Matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say we're experts in making the best out of a losing hand.
The reply to the curious white gentleman: "No! There is no reason to believe black people will riot if Obama does not win."
But soon after getting this man's e-mail, I started to wonder if he was on to something, if he had noticed what I had: a seething, barely constrained, ugly anger and frustration that makes good riot fuel. The kind of anger that prompts people to shout "Kill him!" and "Off with his head!" at rallies. The kind of hatefulness that would prompt a man to bring a stuffed monkey with an "Obama" sticker on the toy's head to a campaign event.
That kind of group-fueled nastiness must surely beg the question: Will white people riot if Obama wins?
Not all white people are McCain supporters. (See caucuses, Iowa.) Not all black people are backing Obama. (See Negroes, self-loathing. Just joking.)
But there is a small but vocal segment of white Republicans who just might have an aneurysm if the next occupant of the White House is a black man.
If the polls are accurate—and Obama wins—will these few angry white people make good on their oral declarations? And will those who stood by them silent, join them? With dreams deferred, can angry whites do what Langston Hughes taught us—to let it fester like a sore, even to let sag like a heavy load? Or will the dream of a perfect streak of white men in the White House, if deferred, cause white people to explode?
Might they torch stores and overturn cars? Or worse, will angry whites take out their disgust on black people by, say, denying loans, or jobs or housing? Burned-out stores and cars, that's unsettling. But the damage angry whites could inflict if they really go off—that's scary.
Will angry white people riot if Barack Obama wins the election?
There may be some people who think this is an absurd question. I honestly don't know. But it is no more absurd than asking it about blacks.
Wendi C. Thomas is the metro columnist for The Commercial Appeal. She's been a writer or an editor for The Charlotte Observer, The (Nashville) Tennessean and The Indianapolis Star. Among her many journalism awards is her 2008 induction into the Scripps Howard Hall of Fame for her opinion writing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Will White People Riot? Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 am

A STUPID QUESTION INDEED... BUT SOME OF OUR FOLKS CAN MAKE US SHAME OH..SO DONT PUT UR NECK ON THE LINE AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THEY'LL PROTEST.. IF INDEED SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS...
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Will White People Riot? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 am

I hope Luda weekenders dont spoil it da all in the ATL...lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 2:18 am

That why we have 911 for to curb the riot if any. This is an historic election and anyone that win, we will have the first African american President or first female vice President......

YES WE CAN-OBAMA
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 2:23 am

Tha why i will sit my butt home and watch the result coming in...........while eating my gbasayamma....Vai queen and u happy because i am eating yor kind na food///
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Will White People Riot? Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 5:17 am

wetin i mon be happy u eating cassava leaf for.. i nah eating some so when i eating my own too then i'll be happy for you.. lol.. da the gey feel sorry for u small and cook that sweet food for u that y u bluffing.. but me i going out oh.. celebrate Obama victory.. out on my balcony.. hahaha
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 am

LadyFlo wrote:
wetin i mon be happy u eating cassava leaf for.. i nah eating some so when i eating my own too then i'll be happy for you.. lol.. da the gey feel sorry for u small and cook that sweet food for u that y u bluffing.. but me i going out oh.. celebrate Obama victory.. out on my balcony.. hahaha

Enjoy History yah either way..i wan to tease u with my gbasayammma.........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will White People Riot?   Will White People Riot? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will White People Riot?
Page 1 of 1