Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eight-year-old wife wins divorce

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Edina

Edina

Female
Number of posts : 589
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Tolerant
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Empty
PostSubject: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 2:22 am

Eight-year-old wife wins divorce 0,,5988902,00

A YEMENI court has granted a divorce to an eight-year-old girl whose unemployed father forced her into an arranged marriage.

"I am happy that I am divorced now. I will be able to go back to school,'' Nojud Mohammed Ali said, after a public hearing in Sanaa's court of first instance.

Her former husband, 28-year-old Faez Ali Thameur, said he married the child "with her consent and that of her parents'' but that he did not object to her divorce petition.

In response to a question from Judge Mohammed al-Qadhi, he acknowledged that the "marriage was consummated, but I did not beat her".

Yemen, one of the world's poorest countries, has no law governing the minimum age of marriage.

Nojud was a second grader in primary school when the marriage took place two and a half months ago.

"They asked me to sign the marriage contract and remain in my father's house until I was 18.

"But a week after signing, my father and my mother forced me to go live with him.''

Nojud's father, Mohammad Ali Al-Ahdal, said he had felt obliged to marry off his daughter, an act he said she consented to.

He said he was frightened after his oldest daughter had been kidnapped several years ago and later married to her abductor.

He said the same man then kidnapped another of his daughters who was already married and had four children, resulting in him being jailed.

Dressed in traditional black, Nojud said she would now go to live in the home of her maternal uncle and did not want to see her father.

The girl's lawyer, Shadha Nasser, said Nojud's case was not unique.

"I believe there are thousands of similar cases,'' she said. Civil society groups were pressing parliament to set the minimum age for marriage at 18, she said.

Yemeni Times posted:
http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2

Nojoud Muhammed Nasser arrived at court by herself on Wednesday, April 2, looking for a judge to handle her case against her father, Muhammed Nasser, who forced her two months ago to marry Faez Ali Thamer, a man 22 years her senior. The child also asked for a divorce, accusing her husband of sexual and domestic abuse.

According to Yemeni law, Nojoud cannot prosecute, as she is underage. However, court judge Muhammed Al-Qathi heard her complaint and subsequently ordered the arrests of both her father and husband.

“My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said.

Nasser said that she was exposed to sexual abuse and domestic violence by her husband. “He used to do bad things to me, and I had no idea as to what a marriage is. I would run from one room to another in order to escape, but in the end he would catch me and beat me and then continued to do what he wanted. I cried so much but no one listened to me. One day I ran away from him and came to the court and talked to them.”

“Whenever I wanted to play in the yard he beat me and asked me to go to the bedroom with him. This lasted for two months," added Nasser. "He was too tough with me, and whenever I asked him for mercy, he beat me and slapped me and then used me. I just want to have a respectful life and divorce him.”

Nasser’s uncle, who does not want to reveal his name, is following the case now as her guardian. According to her uncle, after Muhammed Nasser, the girl's father, lost his job as a garbage truck driver in Hajjah, he became a beggar, and soon after suffered from mental problems.

Thamer is in jail now. “Yes I was intimate with her, but I have done nothing wrong, as she is my wife and I have the right and no one can stop me," he said. "But if the judge or other people insist that I divorce her, I will do it, it’s ok.”

So far, no accusations have been made against her father, who was later released due to health problems, or Nasser's husband, who will remain in jail for further investigation.

“So far there is no case and no charges, as Nojoud arrived by herself to court asking just for a divorce,“ said Shatha Ali Nasser, a lawyer in the Supreme Court who is following Nojoud Nasser’s story.

Shatha Ali Nasser confirmed that item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature,” said Nasser.“This law is highly dangerous because it brings an end to a young girl’s happiness and future fruitful life. Nojoud did not get married, but she was raped by a 30-year old man.”

Nasser confirmed that Nojoud Nasser’s case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, but it is the first time that a girl went to court by herself to ask for a divorce.

“We are not planning to return Nojoud to her family. Who knows? Maybe after a few years the same thing will happen to her again," said Shatha Ali Nasser. "We are planning to put her in Dar Al-Rahama [an non-governmental organization that works with children], where she can have a better life and education. We do not want her family to pay her expenses, as they are poor.”
Back to top Go down
heru1976

heru1976

Female
Number of posts : 478
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Confused
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 8:13 am

What?? The marriage was consumated. What barbarian will sleep with an eight year old child who hasn't even developed? Women have suffered too much in this world.

Last edited by heru1976 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Edina

Edina

Female
Number of posts : 589
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Tolerant
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 4:41 pm

I tell you heru. When I read that my heart went out to that little girl. She was so brave to go to the court with this.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Shocked wow, reading this you would think the girl was a lot older. She was very brave to go to the courts. I guess you are forced to grow up really fast in that country......but damn 2nd grade :x
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 4:35 am

Da horrible for true. How somebody can look at a litle 8 year old baby and go dere is too hard to understand.

But da everyday and everywhere. Look at that whole polygamy mess going on na. Marry how many ever women you want yah. But 12 year girls not women..come on na.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 pm

thak God she not going back to her parent's house.. i pray all goes well with her henceforth.. poor baby.. 8 years old.. at a time she should be playing "play play cook" she has been thrusts into the harshness of life.. made a woman before she even became a girl fully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eight-year-old wife wins divorce   Eight-year-old wife wins divorce Empty

Back to top Go down

Eight-year-old wife wins divorce
Page 1 of 1