Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. Empty
PostSubject: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:50 am

Company greatly increases plans for store closures amid weak economy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25482250?GT1=43001

Starbucks Corp. said Tuesday that it had drastically increased the number of stores it plans to close, citing in part continued weakness in the U.S. economy.

The company said it now plans to close 600 company-operated stores in the United States, up from its previous plans to close 100 stores. The company also said it now plans to open fewer than 200 stores in its coming fiscal year.

The Seattle-based gourmet coffee retailer said the company used several criteria in deciding which stores to close, including whether they were profitable or expected to become profitable in the near future. In a statement, it added that “consideration was given to the impact of current and anticipated economic trends.”

Starbucks, known for sometimes going so far as to open stores across the street from one another, has recently acknowledged that it may have lost some of its luster during a long period of rapid store openings and expansion into everything from breakfast sandwiches to movie promotions. The company also has been feeling the pinch from a down economy, which has made $4 coffee drinks less palatable for many Americans.

Starbucks said that it expects pre-tax charges of between $328 million and $348 million related to the store closings. But because of
tax benefits, the company said it expects to see total cash outflow of about $100 million as a result.

The charges will include about $8 million in severance charges, although the company did not specify how many people would lose their jobs as a result of the closures.

There are currently more than 16,000 Starbucks stores worldwide
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:55 am

Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. 080701-starbucks-hmed-1p.hmediumStarbucks, known for sometimes going so far as to open stores across the street from one another, has recently acknowledged that it may have lost some of its luster during a long period of rapid store openings

Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 6:00 am

Geyla Queen wrote:

Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. 080701-starbucks-hmed-1p.hmediumStarbucks, known for sometimes going so far as to open stores across the street from one another, has recently acknowledged that it may have lost some of its luster during a long period of rapid store openings

That's what they get for doing that....I never understood that concept in the first place scratch .....why not make the damn store bigger vs. haveing 50 in one location.

oh well, people spending that $10 on gas now vs : th_coffee
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 am

Damn stuff makes me think that's what warm piss would taste like!
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 am

I've never had their coffee before... only their cheese danish : hungry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S.   Starbucks to close 600 stores in the U.S. Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1