Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? Empty
PostSubject: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 4:12 am

by Mike Dorning

Associates of Oprah Winfrey tell Newsweek that she stopped attending the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright's Trinity United Church of Christ during the 1990s in part because of the tone of Wright's sermons.
According to two sources, Winfrey was never comfortable with the tone of Wright's more incendiary sermons, which she knew had the power to damage her standing as America's favorite daytime talk-show host. "Oprah is a businesswoman, first and foremost," said one longtime friend, who requested anonymity when discussing Winfrey's personal sentiments. "She's always been aware that her audience is very mainstream, and doing anything to offend them just wouldn't be smart. She's been around black churches all her life, so Reverend Wright's anger-filled message didn't surprise her. But it just wasn't what she was looking for in a church."
The magazine also quotes an unidentified Obama campaign adviser saying that Obama's attachment to Wright flowed in part from the role the pastor and church provided in the fatherless Obama's search for identity as a black man.
"Early on, he was in search of his identity as an African-American and, more importantly, as an African-American man. Reverend Wright and other male members of the church were instrumental in helping him understand the black experience in America. Winfrey wasn't going for that. She's secure in her blackness, so that didn't have a hold on her.''

Comments

Oh, for God's sake, MIke Dorning, will you just let this go. Your patent interest here is not in reporting news, but rather in tryng to stir up such an old controversy- that has finally settled down and been put in its proper perspective. Get over it and tell us something IMPORTANT.

Posted by: tony | May 4, 2008 11:40 AM

Mike will never let this go. He has nothing better to report on.

Posted by: Tim | May 4, 2008 11:58 AM

Thanks for your continued information on this subject. Forwarned is forarmed.

Posted by: Bertie | May 4, 2008 12:03 PM

Funny - the Trib won't post anonymous comments to this news item which is based solely on anonymous sources.

Posted by: Pam | May 4, 2008 12:07 PM

I believe the part about Orpah leaving Wright's church was brought up in the media several weeks ago.
I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect minster, pastor, etc. I don't like certain things about the church my family attends. I have always let my pastor know and have taken action in certain circumstances. The only thing I would like to know at this point is simply did Obama tell Wright that some of his sermons were wrong in message or attitude. I think any leader should take action to disagree rather than leave a church. Being a member let's you bring out change. Leaving does not. I expect Obama should stand up to his pastor when he's wrong.
Beyond that, I wish the media would spend as much time probing Obama's other close associates. I read that David Axelrod stumps for the Chicago Children's Museum being located in Grant Park, as well as for certain utility companies (like electric and telecommunications). Axelrod's positions seem to me to be in opposition to what most citizens want. I've also read that Obama is Emil Jones' protege to some extent. I'm not thrilled with Jones. I wish the Tribune and other media would dig further into these Obama cohorts to see if Obama agrees with his associates' positions. Knowing this helps determine what kind of people he would appoint to his administration.

Posted by: Jim | May 4, 2008 12:08 PM

No surprise here. While I once supported Obama, he has proven himself to be a complete fraud with major identity issues. Buddying up with a known racist and anti-Semite is cowardly. I hope something really bad happens to Obama.

Posted by: John | May 4, 2008 12:10 PM

Rev. Wright was quoting Ambassador Peck even back then?

Posted by: Honky | May 4, 2008 12:13 PM

I've been waiting to hear from Oprah about her ties to Wright's church. So, I don't see this article as "stirring up an old controversy". Interesting that Oprah was smart enough to distance herself from Wright much sooner than Obama.

Posted by: Virginia | May 4, 2008 12:14 PM

Yes, please. Just stop pushing the issue. For Christ's sake, what the hell does Oprah have to do with being president!!

Posted by: Zac | May 4, 2008 12:16 PM

gotta agree, unless Wright is running for office, I could care less who left his church and why.

Posted by: chrisc | May 4, 2008 12:19 PM

People are not sick about hearing about Jeremiah Wright. I think they're stick of hearing Jeremiah Wright.

Posted by: BobCatholic | May 4, 2008 12:19 PM

No this is not over--- obama needs to get out of the way and let Hillarty run for president. he will nevor be president of this country. He needs to go back to his church!

Posted by: cal | May 4, 2008 12:19 PM
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? Flirty

WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 4:17 am

iNTERESTING!!
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 4:35 am

Oprah knows better yahhhhhhhhhh
Back to top Go down
jclifden

Male
Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 4:53 am

Oprah is selling an Image to the General Public.....Barack was not....In the last 20 years Ive been to church twice.....So as the media would say Im a member who's been attending that same church for the last twenty years....The preache baptized me and my daughter.....Now I can honestly say in unequivocal terms that.... Im my Preacher's disciple and his opinions are mines....Now go slap yourself if you believe that.....Peace be unto you ...

Last edited by jclifden on Wed May 07, 2008 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 5:02 am

Hmm, clif; sometimes you can really make sense... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?   WAS OPRAH SMARTER:  WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS? Empty

Back to top Go down

WAS OPRAH SMARTER: WHY DID SHE LEAVE WRIGHT'S CHURCH ONLY AFTER TWO YEARS?
Page 1 of 1