Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26

Go down 
AuthorMessage
elpaulay

Male
Number of posts : 49
Say Whatever : So What?
My Mood : Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26 Shh
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26 Empty
PostSubject: Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26   Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 am

Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usually Celebrate July 26th

By : Paul Jackson
Elpaulay@yahoo.com

1. Nothing in this declaration actually speaks to the struggles and aspirations of the very people this so-called “Love of Liberty” met on the Liberian Soil. It was all about those people who boarded those ships from “you know where”………

2.Because all of our leaders, from the mixed bred J.J. Roberts, to the home bred Samuel Kanyon Doe, from the “totally involved President Tolbert, to the “child” that is supposed to be “great”, Ellen Sirleaf, have proven to be ineffective, lacking in innovation, nepotistic, childishly enchanted by the presidency, but perpetually disinterested in the responsibilities that accompany the office.

3. Because we crafted a nation on an American template that did not pay attention to any of our culturally specific dynamics (customs, history, etc.,)- A complete copycat excuse of a Declaration of Independence

4. Because I am still convinced that being colonized and ill-treated by the innovative White Man would have been more tolerable than gaining independence under the auspices of clueless Black and half-Black liberators who visited some of the same discriminatory practices for over a century on their own people. After all, the White Man left innovation and eye-pleasing infrastructures in parts of the places he colonized.

5. Because I simply hate the Congo-Native dichotomy which enabled semi-literate Negros to inflict emotional and other collateral damage on their own people for over a century and a quarter.

6. Because the only time the wordings of our national anthem makes sense is when Liberia Lone Star is about to engage in an international soccer match-But even a silly nursery rhyme would make sense at that moment. Don’t you think?

7. Because I have never been known to be a strange-bedfellow of my oppressors and people who dehumanize me-Why should I sing an anthem, and march to the drum beat of words that do not mean a damn thing to me?

8. Because I still have the same emotional and physical scars like those other Africans whose nations were colonized-Scars inflicted by half-white men and Black men that were as dark as my Grandpa. And yes, still hear the covert voice of my oppressor in public and private places when he/she is forced to condescendingly accept me as an equal.

9. Independence from what? Unless you have a thing for pomp and pageantry, but “Independence” and “Liberia” in the same sentence is a complete misnomer-Independence from what?! I tire yah….

10. Lastly, because there’s no way this editor is going to grant me the luxury of writing a damning twenty-six paragraphed exposé of our beloved independence day.

God bless Liberia and may we someday gain true independence from the forces of oppression.
Back to top Go down

Twenty-Six Reasons I Do Not Usuall Celebrate July 26
Page 1 of 1