Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant

Go down 
+5
krazzy
DSP
Josie
Nica
Geyla Queen
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Empty
PostSubject: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 am

Written by Julius Kanubah
Friday, 23 January 2009

Seven females have been sacked at the Cavalla Rubber Plantation in Maryland County for getting pregnant on job.

The affected females were dismissed while on a three Month probationary period.

In a letter, the Cavalla’s Management said the affected females couldn’t carry out their duties because of their pregnancies.

The Cavalla Management said it terminated the services of the pregnant females for what it called unsatisfactory probationary period.

The dismissal letters were signed by the Administrative Manager of Cavalla Matthew Jaye and approved by the General Manager John Barkemeni.

Meanwhile, Maryland County Representative Bhofal Chambers says the dismissal of the pregnant females was totally wrong and unacceptable.

Representative Chambers said the dismissal action by the Cavalla’s Management is an act of discrimination and a violation of the Constitution.

The Maryland County Representative said he has formally asked the Cavalla’s Management to reinstate the dismissed pregnant females.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 10:58 am

Damn, since when has becoming pregnant a crime...and why should a female have to pick a job over LIFE!!! THIS IS JUST INSANE!! angry1 I'm sure there are other things they could do while pregnant. Female can work up until their 8th for some the 9th month without any problems.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:00 am

guess there so such thing as maternity leave in Liberia huh?
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 am

So dumb. One of the main reasons for getting and keeping a job is to provide for your family. I hope they are reinstated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
Josie

Josie

Female
Number of posts : 303
Say Whatever : Failure is an event and not a person, be strong and show the real you to others.
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Geyla Queen wrote:
guess there so such thing as maternity leave in Liberia huh?

They have but i wonder those employees don't have a contract?Their rights to maternity leave shd have been stipulated
therein. Gone are the days of working like a jack ass.......... 3-4 mons of ML with your full salary has to be pay
Back to top Go down
DSP

DSP

Male
Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:10 am

If that story is accurate that is so stupid

Teaching logic should be part of any school graduation requirement in Liberia
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

this us the th_bs that we deal with here
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 pm

terrible, just terrible.
the sad thing is even if they sue their employers, nothning most likely may come of this...
really sad.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

an employer or employee has the right to terminate contract at any point during the probation period eneh? angry1 this is crazy...i will not sleep until i call the manager...TODAY. let him give his owna lawrence bropleh story.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 10:39 pm

you know, this is a touchy topic for me, re being dismissed during probationary periods.
at the start of the rating period, a list of expectations and performance level plan should be drawn up and both parties agree/go over it.

employers shouldnt just have that sole power to fire so easily.. what happens to someone who has left their cushy job for this new one??? No
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

ma...i will be comign for my small small classes yah. smile_approve

i think it is two way. some staff members come and go through training for three months...travelling from one country to another. by 2.5 months, u see a letter...i am resigning for 'personal reasons'. Laughing
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:05 pm

krazzy wrote:
ma...i will be comign for my small small classes yah. smile_approve

i think it is two way. some staff members come and go through training for three months...travelling from one country to another. by 2.5 months, u see a letter...i am resigning for 'personal reasons'. Laughing

they lor come spy in the Zoe bush... th_mrgreen
on a whole, you dont have many cases of the staff leaving during probation..its the employers that usually cling to that probationary clause... office politics, fitting in, performing up to task, all place major pressure on the new employee.
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Female
Say Whatever : Failure is an event and not a person, be strong and show the real you to others.

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 pm

[
they lor come spy in the Zoe bush... th_mrgreen
on a whole, you dont have many cases of the staff leaving during probation..its the employers that usually cling to that probationary clause... office politics, fitting in, performing up to task, all place major pressure on the new employee.[/quote]

smile_approve Dat true
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 pm

da na true for everywhere...depends on the institution (size, resources, line of work). Laughing
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:20 pm

krazzy wrote:
da na true for everywhere...depends on the institution (size, resources, line of work). Laughing

hahaha.. you own.... the ratio not high in cases of staff leaving.
i do know several people who came and chilly from new jobs soon they spied in the zoe bush to see salary, training ops, incentives... th_yes-1
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 pm

ma..yor owna place phorkor. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

candygirl wrote:
krazzy wrote:

hahaha.. you own.... the ratio not high in cases of staff leaving.
i_yes-1:

I guess the ratio would be employees-30% and employers- 70% especially during probation time. A S/M will only leave a job after a period of time in the event they have a higher paid one , but to find a new job and mess up the probation time. th_no
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

krazzy wrote:

hahaha.. when it comes to Leave we are good/cool... maternity, Sick, Annual, Excused Absences... i give them 90% th_yes-1
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm

D ratio would be employees-30% and employers-70%. WHo don't want to show their best during the probation period?
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:39 pm

D ratio would be employees-30% and employers-70%. WHo don't want to show their best during the probation period?
Back to top Go down
Zunu

Zunu

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 pm

I can from your inputs who are the HR people and who is the advocacy person.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 12:02 am

well, duh???? th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 12:07 am

ma, somebody went on maternity leave on our side...from jan to october 12...ahn understand that one. and when she returns, her baby can travel with her until s/he is about 18 months...to any country. they will pay the baby per diem too. i could have a baby jes for that rest. Laughing

candygirl wrote:
krazzy wrote:

hahaha.. when it comes to Leave we are good/cool... maternity, Sick, Annual, Excused Absences... i give them 90% th_yes-1
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 am

krazzy wrote:
ma, somebody went on maternity leave on our side...from jan to october 12...ahn understand that one. and when she returns, her baby can travel with her until s/he is about 18 months...to any country. they will pay the baby per diem too. i could have a baby jes for that rest. Laughing

candygirl wrote:
krazzy wrote:

hehn???!! Krazzy! where that one happen? if that Direct Hire, then they have the same 3 months and the option of up to another 3 months of unpaid leave of absence/pay..maybe thats what she took..
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 am

in the aid of action, ma. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant   Seven women sacked at Cavalla for being pregnant Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next