Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father Empty
PostSubject: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:16 am

As we reflect on the life and death of Liberia's father for multi party democracy, i am indeed very gracious to his families for allowing this man to give his life to the struggle for equal justice and pluralistic democracy in Liberia. G. Baccus was a man who believed that " Politics was the act of the possible". He was a very pragmatic man.

He lived a simple life and had zero tolerance for corruption. He died September 7, 2007 at the St. Joseph Catholic Hospital. I will alway remember him and hope to join other as we continue the struggle for a better Liberia.

In the Cause of the People, the Struggle continues!!!!!! Share your thoughts about G. Baccus...as we celebrate his life and death one year ago.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 am

bellah, were you a part of MOJA?
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 am

candygirl wrote:
bellah, were you a part of MOJA?

No. I was a part of PAL, PPP and UPP........................
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:15 am

Da you and who pa?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:59 am

I was very fortunate to have encountered the Matthews family in 1990.
I taught school in Monrovia, just outside of Red Light in Paynesville at the School of The Prime System.

He had an adorable little son who was in my 2nd grade class. He had a beautiful wife who gave me fine Fanti from Ivory Coast. They were very kind and often expressed their appreciation for helping their son who was the tiniest peking in the class and used to get bullied around sometime.

I remember feeling a little fan struck at meeting them. I had and still have a great deal of respect for Mr. Matthews. For me it was like meeting the likes of a Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:47 am

Nica wrote:
I was very fortunate to have encountered the Matthews family in 1990.
I taught school in Monrovia, just outside of Red Light in Paynesville at the School of The Prime System.

He had an adorable little son who was in my 2nd grade class. He had a beautiful wife who gave me fine Fanti from Ivory Coast. They were very kind and often expressed their appreciation for helping their son who was the tiniest peking in the class and used to get bullied around sometime.

I remember feeling a little fan struck at meeting them. I had and still have a great deal of respect for Mr. Matthews. For me it was like meeting the likes of a Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.

Nica, my encounter with Gabriel was rich and rewarding. I can remember during Octopus when he sought refuge in New Kru Town my childhood city, i had the opportunity to ask him all my question pertaining to the revolutuion of the 80's. He answer all my question with out being angry. His staff started calling me questioneer because of the many questions i asked. I went into the soul of G. Bac and i found out how this man was peaceful and he wanted the best for Liberia. He hated no one and that the struggle was his life.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 am

Did you ask him about the bad blood between him and his step father Tolbert? Why did he turn against him? Was it for that job business at the embassy in the US...?

I have not followed this thing, I need to since Baccus is a very iconic historical personality..
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:14 am

Tolbert was not his step father but his distant cousin who help facilitated his study in the US. I did ask him about Tolbert and indeed he had great respect for Tolbert but the struggle was not about him or Tolbert, rather it was about the Liberian people. The people wanted to share in the government and indeed people like the late renounced Journalist S. Peabody Sr. also wanted to a government for all. G. Bac told me about his encounter with journalist Peabody, Sr. He told me how Peabody, Sr. help him delivered a message to Tolbert at the Executive Mansion when the bureacrat wouldn't allow him to. He said they were good friends but on different side of the struggle.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:17 am

bellah wrote:
Tolbert was not his step father but his distant cousin who help facilitated his study in the US. I did ask him about Tolbert and indeed he had great respect for Tolbert but the struggle was not about him or Tolbert, rather it was about the Liberian people. The people wanted to share in the government and indeed people like the late renounced Journalist S. Peabody Sr. also wanted to a government for all. G. Bac told me about his encounter with journalist Peabody, Sr. He told me how Peabody, Sr. help him delivered a message to Tolbert at the Executive Mansion when the bureacrat wouldn't allow him to. He said they were good friends but on different side of the struggle.

FACT CHECK

He is still alive, so I will hve to check that with him, since maybe you thought he was dead and dead men cant answer questions. lol

On which side of the struggle was Peabody, Sr?
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:24 am

G. Baccus told me that there members of PAL who were also members of the True Whig party and wanted change. He said they collaborated with them at every level. Gab told it was how they stop the first palace coup against Tolbert when members of PAL marched on the Executive Mansion that faithful morning.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:33 am

gadyu wrote:
bellah wrote:

FACT CHECK

He is still alive, so I will hve to check that with him, since maybe you thought he was dead and dead men cant answer questions. lol

On which side of the struggle was Peabody, Sr?

Thank u for correcting me. I thought he was dead cause i haven't heard about him in a long time. Peabody, Sr. was a member of the information wing of the True Whig party and indeed wanted reform within his own institution...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father   Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father Empty

Back to top Go down

Remembering G. Baccus Matthews...Our Progressive Father
Page 1 of 1