Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ Empty
PostSubject: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 am

Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ Ilrf_header
In the past month, workers in Liberia and Colombia have signed historic contracts with two of the biggest multinational corporations. Unions representing workers on the Firestone rubber plantation in
Tell Firestone to honor their contract commitments:
Click here to send a note to Firestone!
Liberia and on two cut flower plantations in Colombia owned by Dole have signed new collective bargaining agreements. THANK YOU to all of our supporters who have taken action in solidarity with these workers for years!

Let's celebrate these exciting victories for workers and let these companies know that we are still watching them!
FIRESTONE:
Today in Liberia, the Firestone Agricultural Workers Union of Liberia (FAWUL) will hold a ceremony with Firestone management and Liberian Minister of Labor Kofi Woods to sign their new collective bargaining agreement (CBA). It has been a long struggle for workers to achieve independent and democratically elected union leadership and for the first time, they have a contract which was bargained by a representative union. This is a major step forward for workers who have been living and working in deplorable conditions for generations.

Click here to send an e-mail to Firestone Natural Rubber Company CEO Dan Adomitis and Bridgestone Americas CEO Mark Emkes to let them know that you are happy to finally see that workers have a real contract, but that you are ready to take action in solidarity with the workers in Liberia if the company does not follow through with their commitments!

DOLE:
Recently, workers at two Dole flower plantations in Colombia signed the only agreements held by Dole flower workers in Colombia and are only the second and third contracts to be signed by independent unions in the Colombian flower sectors. The union at Splendor El Rosal (owned by Dole) finished negotiations on a contract which includes important improvements in wages and working conditions. The second contract at Fragancia was negotiated by the union Untrafragancia and includes wage increases, and education stipends for the children of flower workers, among other improvements. Click here to find out more.

THANKS AGAIN to all of you for taking action! As you can see, your solidarity helps contribute to important victories for workers, so please continue to stay engaged with our Stop Firestone and Fairness in Flowers campaigns!

Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 am

yeah they are doing a lil better than before. I know they're also offering scholarships for students etc now..
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 2:49 am

LadyFlo wrote:
...............they're also offering scholarships for students etc now..

Well they were doing that back when I was school. SO its good to know they are resurrecting the practice
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 am

Thank God a last their dreams are coming true...
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Well there's still a lot more to be done but at least something has started.... hopefully our kids can make good use of the opportunities..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............   Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............ Empty

Back to top Go down

Firestone Coming to Terms Slowly but Surely............
Page 1 of 1