Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?

Go down 
+4
Philomath
Traveller
gadyu
Geyla Queen
8 posters

Jilted Bride Sues After Wedding Called Off
SHE IS RIGHT TO SUE
WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Vote_lcap60%WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 6 ]
SHE'S WRONG TO SUE
WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Vote_lcap40%WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Empty
PostSubject: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:03 am

HALL COUNTY, Ga. -- The jury is deliberating the case of a Hall County woman who is suing her former fiance after he called the wedding off.

RoseMary Shell sued her ex-fiance, Wayne Gibbs, after he broke off their engagement in 2007. Shell argued her fiance's promise of marital bliss amounted to a binding contract. She said she left a high-paying job in Florida to be with Gibbs and she said she has suffered financial losses since their break-up. She also said she has suffered emotionally.

Gibbs testified that he had taken Shell on trips and paid $30,000 of her debt while they were engaged. He said when he found out she had even more debt, he canceled the wedding by leaving Shell a note in their bathroom.

Closing arguments were heard Wednesday morning and the jury is deliberating.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:25 am

She got the right to sue. But, it is not a matter of right or wrong to sue in this case. She is suing to recover expenses she may have incurred during the process, not to get the man to come marry.

Would you sue if you were jilted? Would you have the guts to? I think the Jilt will jarr you so bad that you would just HATE all men after that and just go lesbo...lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:59 am

gadyu wrote:
Would you sue if you were jilted? Would you have the guts to? I think the Jilt will jarr you so bad that you would just HATE all men after that and just go lesbo...lol

Chay... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:05 am

Gaydu is correct. Theer is not allowable cause of action for breach of contract for failure to get married. The news writer purposely twisted the headline to make it seem like she is suing for that.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 am

**UPDATE**

HALL COUNTY, Ga. -- The jury has awarded a Hall County woman $150,000 after she sued her former fiance for calling their wedding off. RoseMary Shell sued her ex-fiance, Wayne Gibbs, after he broke off their engagement in 2007.

Shell argued her fiance's promise of marital bliss amounted to a binding contract. She said she left a high-paying job in Florida to be with Gibbs and she said she has suffered financial losses since their break-up. She also said she has suffered emotionally.

Gibbs testified that he had taken Shell on trips and paid $30,000 of her debt while they were engaged. He said when he found out she had even more debt, he canceled the wedding by leaving Shell a note in their bathroom.

Closing arguments were heard Wednesday morning and the jury awarded Shell $150,000 by Wednesday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Number of posts : 306
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Happy
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 am

She is completely wrong; she should be using her little to settle some of her debts. Gibbs wasn’t force to marry her, it was a promise and he did what he thought was right for him. Probably the guy anticipates future trouble just from the initial one he handled. If she had a high-paying job in Florida as claimed, why was she not able to pay the $30,000 debt she has while she was engaged to him? She didn’t suffer financial losses during the period of their engagement according to her; it was after their break-up. I guess that guy scratch his head and pay the 30grams thinking that was all not it. And when he noticed was attached, he said to himself, HELL NO! I’m out of this trouble. She is mad because she does not have someone to help her pay off her debt and decided to use this medium to get money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 am

They lucky...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:51 am

Damn fool! By paying all that money over time he essentially got the woman to rely on his finaicial support. THAT is why she won the case. Its sort of like in Maryland if you invite someone to live with you in yourhouse, you can't just throw them out after 2 months or so. It becomes very dificult legally to get that person out o fyour crib because they've come to rely on you.

But this guy sef, how you pay $30,000 debt for a woman and she is not your wife yet???? She must have REALLY put it on him! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Number of posts : 306
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Happy
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:04 am

Traveller wrote:
Damn fool! By paying all that money over time he essentially got the woman to rely on his finaicial support. THAT is why she won the case. Its sort of like in Maryland if you invite someone to live with you in yourhouse, you can't just throw them out after 2 months or so. It becomes very dificult legally to get that person out o fyour crib because they've come to rely on you.

But this guy sef, how you pay $30,000 debt for a woman and she is not your wife yet???? She must have REALLY put it on him! Laughing

That was the first thing that ran to my mind then later I said maybe that guy did it in the name of love but when the real LOVE test came ( the additional debts), he said IU better fail in this test order then that, I will be dead man. It is sad that he ended up paying for his so-called love he once share with that Monica ( LIB saying). He went too far by paying the initial amount and if was him, I’ll swear you for breakfast, swear you for lunch and swear you for dinner for one straight month just to ease my mind.

Traveller wrote:

She might have given him ragga to blow him off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
heru1976

heru1976

Female
Number of posts : 478
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Confused
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 am

That woman left her high paying job to be with this fool. I would have sued him too. It's not her fault he didn't know about her debt before he engaged her. He should have checked. I am glad she won because he was stupid by not doing his investigation. :)
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Geyla Queen wrote:

HALL COUNTY, Ga. -- The jury is deliberating the case of a Hall County woman who is suing her former fiance after he called the wedding off.

RoseMary Shell sued her ex-fiance, Wayne Gibbs, after he broke off their engagement in 2007. Shell argued her fiance's promise of marital bliss amounted to a binding contract. She said she left a high-paying job in Florida to be with Gibbs and she said she has suffered financial losses since their break-up. She also said she has suffered emotionally.

Closing arguments were heard Wednesday morning and the jury is deliberating.

The women was making money to pay her debt...rather she chose to pay it or not da her business...he put a ring on her finger and she relocates to be with him. She becomes his responsibility to a certain extent. Now he calls it off...hell yes he should pay....next time he will think 2x before he puts another ring on a women finger....these men NEVER suffer in there cases.

The women na go plan wedding, change her life and his defence is she got debt...and he took her on trips...(SO WHAT DA PART OF DATING).....ehn he went on the trips too.....damn ass.....Sucking my teeth. It sweet for him.

Let this be a lesson to other men out there...even though 1/2 of yor aint got 5 cent to your name.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm

Heck, if he's into paying off $30k debts, he shoulda dated me. I got some federal student loans I'd like to holla at him about. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Traveller wrote:
Heck, if he's into paying off $30k debts, he shoulda dated me. I got some federal student loans I'd like to holla at him about. Laughing

Tell me about it....I got the IRS on my ass about some 2001 back taxes...they na send me a "Notice of Intent to Levy"...CHAY Shocked. I called them quick quick. I was on the phone with them for 3 long hours fussing angry1 ...but I set up payment plan...not that I don't have the money...but I can't look at that kind of money and give to them all at one...so I will pay small small.

Bellah I telling this now oooooh...and yor my witnesses....I owe the IRS lol!
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:07 am

Traveller wrote:

BINGO - BINGO - BINGO - But again, Love can make us act the fool at times Shocked ....
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 am

Geyla Queen wrote:

Bellah I telling this now oooooh...and yor my witnesses....I owe the IRS lol!

Laughing Laughing Laughing The village got your back girl.
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:25 am

i think she's right.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm

from a woman's point of view, she was right.. the embarrassment and inconveniences...expenses, etc.
from a man's perspective... "da by force?"
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 12:28 am

Jilted bride calls $150,000 jury award ‘justice’
RoseMary Shell gave up her job for fiancé: ‘He made a promise to me’

By Bob Considine
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 9:34 a.m. ET, Fri., July. 25, 2008

Men (or women) who decide to get on bended knee: Be warned. You could find yourself on both knees, facing a judge instead of a justice of the peace. That’s what happened in Florida this week, when a woman was awarded $150,000 after suing her former fiancé for calling off their wedding. For RoseMary Shell, the jilted bride-to-be who left a high-paying job in Pensacola to live with her prospective partner in Gainesville, there was a “wow” in lieu of a vow.

“[I was] a little bit [surprised], but I was thrilled,” Shell told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira on Friday. “But I felt like justice was really done.”

For Wayne Gibbs, the ex-fiancé, a case of cold feet came at a price.

“Mr. Gibbs feels that the verdict did not accurately reflect the evidence and will appeal,” Hammond Law, Gibbs’ attorney, told TODAY in a statement. “In addition, there are significant legal questions to address, including, but not limited to, whether or not breach of promise to marry is a viable action under Georgia law in 2008.”

From bliss to diss
It was 2001 when Shell and Gibbs, who were each divorced with grown children, met through mutual friends and began dating. According to Shell, the couple had intended to get married when her youngest son went off to college in 2005. When that didn’t happen, she broke up with Gibbs and moved to Pensacola, where she landed a human resources job that paid $81,000 with benefits. Trying to carry on with her life, she started to date someone new.

But in October 2006, Gibbs asked her to move back to Gainesville — and he proposed with a 2-carat diamond ring. Shell said yes. A wedding date of Dec. 2 was set.

About a month after Shell moved back in with Gibbs, however, Gibbs expressed second thoughts in a note he left in their bathroom: He wanted to postpone the wedding. Gibbs and Shell stayed together a few more months before officially parting in March 2007. Shell chose to take legal action and sued three months later.

“Primarily because he made a promise to me and I relied on that promise and gave up a lot of things because of that promise,” Shell explained.

“And I suffered significantly for it,” she added. “I just felt like people shouldn’t be allowed to do people that way.”

During the three-day trial, Shell testified that she had given up a good salary with benefits to move back with Gibbs. In her current job, in the accounting department at North Georgia College and State University, Shell is making $31,000 a year. Gibbs testified that he took Shell on several skiing trips during their renewed partnership, made house payments for her, and gave her $30,000 to pay off some of her credit-card debt. He claimed he got cold feet after learning she had even more debt.

Shell disputed that Gibbs was unaware of her overall debt of $42,000. “It’s simply not true,” Shell told Vieira. “We discussed my debts before I left Florida. We discussed my debts when I came back from Florida. He had a list. He knew exactly what I owed. That’s all just kind of a smokescreen.”

A precedent?
After hearing the case, a Hall County jury awarded Shell $150,000 on Wednesday.

Lydia Sartain, Shell’s attorney, said her only reservations about taking on the case were over the “conservative” nature of area residents who might make up the jury.

“We really debated quite extensively whether to bring the case,” Sartain said. “But we just felt so strongly that in this case he had told her to quit her job and she relied on his promise. He came to her in Florida and moved her back into his house, took steps above and beyond the usual ‘Will you marry me, let’s plan a wedding’ and then somebody backs out.”

“Really, we believe now that he never intended to follow through on the promise to marry,” Sartain added.

Sartain also told Vieira that she hopes the case sets a precedent that an engagement can be a binding contract: “When you give your word to do something and you cause people to rely on it to their detriment, then you may be held accountable for any damages that you cause.” As for her engagement ring, which she displayed to Vieira and TODAY viewers, Shell said she does not know the value — but she will try to sell it.

“It means nothing now,” she said.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?   WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT DO YOU THINK..IS SHE RIGHT OR WRONG?
Page 1 of 1