Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chay Ellen

Go down 
+6
Traveller
rberry
Nica
bellah
McNeal
krazzy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : Chay Ellen Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 am

Sirleaf Grants Clemency to 14 Convicted in River Gee, Grand Gedeh Sassywood Case
09/19/08 - Executive Mansion

Monrovia - President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has granted clemency to fourteen (14) persons from River Gee County recently convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment for administrating sassywood resulting into the deaths of others. She has also granted unconditional clemency to two convicts in Grand Gedeh County who ordered and instructed the beating of a female citizen of their community accused of engaging in witchcraft, which resulted into the death of the accused person.
In a letter to Justice Minister Cllr. Philips Banks, the Liberian leader has instructed that the pardoned convicts shall undertake intensive community work to include educating their kinsmen that the practice of sassywood is outlawed and against the laws of Liberia. The President has further instructed that those pardoned are to make themselves available to their county authorities for other community services, discouraging their people from such illegal practices and not endulging in similar acts themselves. She has also urged them to afford themselves the opportunity to ammend their ways or attitudes and become honourable and law abiding. Traditional trial by ordeal, she noted, violates the Constitution of Liberia.

Those pardoned in River Gee include; Mr. George T. Kargba, Mr. Paul Weleswen, Mr. George T. Nimely, Mr. Jacob Bliyee Jr., Mr. Milton Kargba, Mr. Newton Koffa, Mr. Joseph Chede Jr. and Mr. Robert Kargba Jr. Others pardoned include, Mr. Christian Swen, Mr. Sunday Dweh, Mr. Prince Wesseh, Mr. Winston Wesseh; Mr. Eric Doe and Mr. Cyrus Doe. Those pardoned from Grand Gedeh County include; Messrs. Samuel S. Deah and Gray Deah.

According to Article 59 of the Liberian Constitution, ‘The President of Liberia may remit any public forfeitures and penalties, suspend any fines and sentences, grant reprieves and pardons and restore civil rights after conviction for all public offences, except impeachment’.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 am

interesting practice in river gee...prisoners are allowed to go and 'hustle' by 10 a.m. and they can return to prison by 7 p.m. everyday. sometimes they even get contracts from law enforcement officers or county authorities to assist in farming or other tasks. smt angry1

so what happens re the death of these people? geez ellen!
Back to top Go down
McNeal

McNeal

Male
Number of posts : 138
Say Whatever : The opposing wind, like a kite, will take me higher
My Mood : Chay Ellen Relaxed
Registration date : 2008-05-02

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 am

The dead bodies are dead, and life continues...

I hope this idea would yield results... we say we want change now, so this is it. Just like the US...community service, but not for convicted murderers.

It look like that woman with the cloth over her face standing to the temple of justice with the sword and scale in her hands...spying under the cloth small or the cloth get small hole.
Back to top Go down
http://mcnealious.hi5.com
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 am

da BS McNeal. ellen slipping into the tubman and tolbert time
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 3:52 am

krazzy wrote:

KR, she is no different from Tolbert. Tolbert was her mentor and that is why man like Richard Tolbert is still in GOL after corrupt practices. We jes have to vote her out in 2011 ma.
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Chay Ellen Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 7:17 am

bellah wrote:
krazzy wrote:

KR, she is no different from Tolbert. Tolbert was her mentor and that is why man like Richard Tolbert is still in GOL after corrupt practices. We jes have to vote her out in 2011 ma.

And vote who in na?...Suggestions? : : hmmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Nica wrote:
bellah wrote:
krazzy wrote:

Rufus S. Berry II
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 pm

rberry wrote:
Nica wrote:
bellah wrote:
krazzy wrote:

Rufus S. Berry II

lol!
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Chay Ellen Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm

rberry wrote:
Nica wrote:
bellah wrote:
krazzy wrote:

Rufus S. Berry II

i enjoy you Pope smile_approve
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Chay Ellen Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 am

Da real dry face endorsement here oh Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:26 am

Chay Ellen 2859801509_6a56b14c12_m
Mr. Rufus S. Berry II

History has shown that Liberian have had a vicious cycle in which corruption breeds corruption. Madama President, your people are counting on you as the hope for a better tomorrow. Your people are counting on you to produce a virtuous cycle where honesty will breed honesty. The choice to end corruption is yours Madam President for the sake of your legacy; otherwise, we'll elect Rufus S. Berry II to do it for you.
Back to top Go down
jclifden

Male
Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 am

krazzy wrote:
Sirleaf Grants Clemency to 14 Convicted in River Gee, Grand Gedeh Sassywood Case

Monrovia - President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has granted clemency to fourteen (14) persons from River Gee County recently convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment for administrating sassywood resulting into the deaths of others. She has also granted unconditional clemency to two convicts in Grand Gedeh County who ordered and instructed the beating of a female citizen of their community accused of engaging in witchcraft, which resulted into the death of the accused person.
In a letter to Justice Minister Cllr. Philips Banks, the Liberian leader has instructed that the pardoned convicts shall undertake intensive community work to include educating their kinsmen that the practice of sassywood is outlawed and against the laws of Liberia. The President has further instructed that those pardoned are to make themselves available to their county authorities for other community services, discouraging their people from such illegal practices and not endulging in similar acts themselves. She has also urged them to afford themselves the opportunity to ammend their ways or attitudes and become honourable and law abiding. Traditional trial by ordeal, she noted, violates the Constitution of Liberia.

Those pardoned in River Gee include; Mr. George T. Kargba, Mr. Paul Weleswen, Mr. George T. Nimely, Mr. Jacob Bliyee Jr., Mr. Milton Kargba, Mr. Newton Koffa, Mr. Joseph Chede Jr. and Mr. Robert Kargba Jr. Others pardoned include, Mr. Christian Swen, Mr. Sunday Dweh, Mr. Prince Wesseh, Mr. Winston Wesseh; Mr. Eric Doe and Mr. Cyrus Doe. Those pardoned from Grand Gedeh County include; Messrs. Samuel S. Deah and Gray Deah.

According to Article 59 of the Liberian Constitution, ‘The President of Liberia may remit any public forfeitures and penalties, suspend any fines and sentences, grant reprieves and pardons and restore civil rights after conviction for all public offences, except impeachment’.

I believe Ma Ellen is right on this one....Sassywood like Female genital mutational is ancient ritual and it's sacrosanct to those who practice it...In the civilized world this practice is considered extreme evil and its totally unacceptable. In order to understand how Ellen Arrived at this conclusion, u first have to remove ur "Civilized Eyegalsses" and look thru the EyeGlasses of the "Bush People". Do I believe this practice is evil...Hell yes. I grew up in a christian home. I see things differently.

As the leader of Liberia she understands that first u have to change their hearts before u change their minds. I promise u ..u can kill an entire village or put all of them in Jail ...this thing wont just go away. However, if u teach them why its wrong than overtime they will learn...Education must be the first option...its cheaper and and its humane...If u jail or kill u create more demonic enemies that will swear u or seek revenge by any evil means necessary...

Last edited by jclifden on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 am

So until the "bush people" learn the civilized ways or the Christian ways, allow them to kill and/or injure because it should be considered culturally sacred. Just how long is this "education" supposed to take? Ritualistic killing for example, is not new. I was a kid when Allen Yancy and several others were arrested and hanged. I'd assume over the lst 30 years, it became clear that killing was wrong under Liberian law and that there are consequences to pay if you do kill. Come on, we can do MUCH better.
Back to top Go down
jclifden

Male

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 1:32 am

Traveller wrote:
So until the "bush people" learn the civilized ways or the Christian ways, allow them to kill and/or injure because it should be considered culturally sacred. Just how long is this "education" supposed to take? Ritualistic killing for example, is not new. I was a kid when Allen Yancy and several others were arrested and hanged. I'd assume over the lst 30 years, it became clear that killing was wrong under Liberian law and that there are consequences to pay if you do kill. Come on, we can do MUCH better.

Yes, killing and jailing has never been a deterrent to this practice.

Liberia Laws because it was nothing more that a "cut and paste version" of the U.S laws has always been foreign to the native people deep in the hinterland. You get ur laws from ur god they get theirs from their God....U have to change hearts first. U dont do that by killing people who fundamentally believe this practice is sacrosanct. It wont deter or eradicate the crime. It creates more hate and more state enemies.
U have to make them understand why this practice is not only wrong fundamentally but also that it is grossly inhumane. Teach first....

Last edited by jclifden on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 am

I think GOL needs to make education accessible to our people. By during this, then they will eradicate all those myths they have been living with. Our people still believe in the Poro and Sande Society as way of educating their children. Education has not reach them in the villages and towns. For example in Flelelah, there was only one school for the whole district which was overcrowded. Children from far off couldn't attend the only public school because of the distant. Education is the key to making a difference in the life of our people.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:16 am

Traveller, we got long to go with ellen and this BS. she really expects these people to do 'intensive community service' to educate others who may wnat to kill other people? who in the hell with monitor what's happening? they have not even paid the police for the last 4 months. i think this is a mockery of justice and some of the same factors that gave birth to the 'interior regulations'. keep one set of laws for the 'civilised' folks and one for the 'heathens'.

Traveller wrote:
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:22 am

sassywood is banned and illegal in liberia. ellen sirleaf knows the law.

jclifden wrote:
krazzy wrote:

I believe Ma Ellen is right on this one....Sassywood like Female genital mutational is ancient ritual and it's sacrosanct to those who practice it...In the civilized world this practice is considered extreme evil and its totally unacceptable. In order to understand how Ellen Arrived at this conclusion, u first have to remove ur "Civilized Eyegalsses" and look thru the EyeGlasses of the "Bush People". Do I believe this practice is evil...Hell yes. I grew up in a christian home. I see things differently.

As the leader of Liberia she understands that first u have to change their hearts before u change their minds. I promise u ..u can kill an entire village or put all of them in Jail ...this thing wont just go away. However, if u teach them why its wrong than overtime they will learn...Education must be the first option...its cheaper and and its humane...If u jail or kill u create more demonic enemies that will swear u or seek revenge by any evil means necessary...
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Chay Ellen Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:40 am

Chay Ellen 13544.photo.1

LIBERIAN OBSERVER CARTOON
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
jclifden

Male

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 am

krazzy wrote:
Traveller, we got long to go with ellen and this BS. she really expects these people to do 'intensive community service' to educate others who may wnat to kill other people? who in the hell with monitor what's happening? they have not even paid the police for the last 4 months. i think this is a mockery of justice and some of the same factors that gave birth to the 'interior regulations'. keep one set of laws for the 'civilised' folks and one for the 'heathens'.

Traveller wrote:

Krazzy Im not advocating blanket immunity for ritual killings here. There should be some type of punishment.But Life in Jail would be an undue burden on this govt. This is not an isolated problem. Many people in the interior are involve in this practice. It wont eradicate it.

Remember the laws on the books were not inclucive of all people. Those laws are and were cut and paste laws from the U.S. The slaves that came back in 1800s never considered the practices, standards and traditions of the people they met on the Grain coast before enacting their laws. So why should the slave law be the supreme law of the land?
Back to top Go down
sunshine

Female
Number of posts : 83
My Mood : Chay Ellen Cheerful
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 am

I think we need to both educate and be willing to be educated. There is no right or wrong, just different perspectives. Those of us with belief systems primarily influenced by western cultural norms must resist the urge to satisfy our false ego-based perception that it is our job to "educate" indigenous groups who have cultural practices that fall out of line with our values. I spent the first nine years of my life in Liberia, and my lack of sound knowledge on the history and cultural practices of indigenous tribal groups in Liberia is SHOCKING. I almost feel ashamed to call myself African. We must be willing to educate ourselves first!..(speaking for myself)

I would like to think that madame president's decision took into consideration this difference of perspective, and in doing so, was an example of compassion and the willingness to understand. We cannot fight violence with violence, fear with fear and hate with hate!! Every action has it's own consequence... and whether you think it's justifiable or not does not change the inevitable consequence that we choose whenever we act. If we want a more peaceful, loving and fruitful country then we must be that ourselves!!
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 am

jclif, they did. that is why liberia has two bodies of laws recognized under the constitution. the interior regulations cover the rural parts of the country and was signed as a law in the 1800s or early 1900s by s. d. coleman. those laws are reflective of the settlers understanding and acknowledgement of the differen cultures and values that govern that area. it still exists and although updated several times, it still includes areas that violates the rights of people (which if i may add the same case with the harvard professor's laws).

i am not sure what life imprisonment would mean to men who have murdered other people but i am sure what 'community service' means in a place like river gee and grand gedeh.

i do not agree with ellen on this.

jclifden wrote:
krazzy wrote:

Traveller wrote:

Krazzy Im not advocating blanket immunity for ritual killings here. There should be some type of punishment.But Life in Jail would be an undue burden on this govt. This is not an isolated problem. Many people in the interior are involve in this practice. It wont eradicate it.

Remember the laws on the books were not inclucive of all people. Those laws are and were cut and paste laws from the U.S. The slaves that came back in 1800s never considered the practices, standards and traditions of the people they met on the Grain coast before enacting their laws. So why should the slave law be the supreme law of the land?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chay Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chay Ellen   Chay Ellen Empty

Back to top Go down

Chay Ellen
Page 1 of 1