Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Empty
PostSubject: Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st   Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st EmptyWed May 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Kwanza Kwanzaa Starts~December 26th-January 1st

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Kwanza2
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st   Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st EmptyWed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Kwanzaa (or Kwaanza) is a week-long festival celebrated primarily in the United States, honoring African-American heritage. It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year.

Kwanzaa consists of seven days of celebration, featuring activities such as candle-lighting and pouring of libations, and culminating in a feast and gift giving. It was created by Ron Karenga and first celebrated from December 26, 1966, to January 1, 1967.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: The Seven Principles of Kwanzaa   Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st EmptyWed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm

The Seven Principles of Kwanzaa, or Nguzo Saba (originally Nguzu Saba -

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Kwanza

"The Seven Principles of Blackness", which Karenga said "is a communitarian African philosophy" consisting of what Karenga called "the best of African thought and practice in constant exchange with the world." These seven principles comprise Kawaida, a Swahili term for tradition and reason. Each of the seven days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the following principles, as follows:

Umoja (Unity) To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race.

Kujichagulia (Self-Determination) To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves.

Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility) To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems and to solve them together.

Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics) To build and maintain our own stores, shops and other businesses and to profit from them together.

Nia (Purpose) To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.

Kuumba (Creativity) To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.

Imani (Faith) To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st   Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st Empty

Back to top Go down

Kwanzaa~December 26th-January 1st
Page 1 of 1