Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World Empty
PostSubject: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Physiology vs Politics – Women Leaders in a Man’s World

The Case of Margaret Thatcher

Women leaders have multiple demands from patriarchy and societal expectations that they bring a different brand of leadership to the table. The perceived privilege of leadership is like the proverbial albatross around their necks. It is assumed that once women have broken the glass ceiling and reached what is in most cases a man’s position; she will have a bias towards women’s issues and frame her problem-solving and decision-making in their interests. This is not always true and without doing an in-depth interrogation of women leadership and associated issues, I will state that the fact that an individual is female does not guarantee a feminist perspective in their leadership style.

This situation feeds into the emerging conversation in Liberia, the first African country to have an elected female president. While it is too soon to conclude that Mrs. Sirleaf focuses on Liberia’s problems in a gender-neutral stance; it is safe to say that her decision-making and policies are tainted by neo-liberal and paternalistic tendencies, influenced by the IFIs. There is a marked and unparallel dichotomy between these paradigms and feminism.

Dr. Vandana Shiva in her piece, Making Poverty History and the History of Poverty, a reaction to Jeffrey Sachs, The End of Poverty states:

The $50 billion of “aid” North to South is a tenth of $500 billion flow South to North as interest payments and other unjust mechanisms in the global economy imposed by World Bank, IMF. With privatization of essential services and an unfair globalisation imposed through W.T.O, the poor are being made poorer. Indian peasants are loosing $ 26 billion annually just in falling farm prices because of dumping and trade liberalization. As a result of unfair, unjust globalisation, which is leading to corporate, take over of food and water. More than $5 trillion will be transferred from poor people to rich countries just for food and water. The poor are financing the rich. If we are serious about ending poverty, we have to be serious about ending the unjust and violent systems for wealth creation which create poverty by robbing the poor of their resources, livelihoods and incomes. Jeffrey Sachs deliberately ignores this “taking”, and only addresses “giving”, which is a mere 0.1% of the “taking” by the North. Ending poverty is more a matter of taking less than giving an insignificant amount more. Making poverty history needs getting the history of poverty right And Sachs has got it completely wrong.1

Liberia is on the globalization ‘train’, set in motion by Friedman, and has had visits from both Professor Sachs and World Bank’s Wolfowitz in the 2007. The country is also concluding the development of a Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper, the required commitment to do ‘extractive’ business with the IFIs and their financial cohorts in other international organizations. Considering that 85% of Liberia’s population lives below $1 dollar a day; and majority of the poor is women, our national development strategy appears far from feminist and pro-poor.

This trend makes interesting space for the feminist development practitioner to employ voyeuristic skills over the next year-watching where a woman leader without feminist grounding leads us. The opportunity to influence this situation exists, unlike the case of Great Britain’s Margaret Thatcher, whose leadership is more akin to patriarchal and racist glory. This case study focuses on her leadership style, her role as a leader in a man’s world and its impact on her country’s development.

To be continued
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:07 pm

continue......
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyWed May 14, 2008 5:13 am

KR...The fact that women in the man's world have not realized that they have the majority to elect women in higher offices will continue to make them to be second to men. The Liberian women as well as the Germans got it right when they elected Ma Ellen and the German Chancellor. Here in America, they are trying but their effort is being divided by either race, sex or other "ism". Women will have to continue to engage man on every issue of the day casue they are major part of the global village. They give birth to us and we listen when they talk. They will have to persevere and be courageous in competing at every level of the game. Women are a unifier if they want to be and can be a spoiler if they want.

The comtemporary world we live in can't survive without women. Women need to begin to step up to the plate and build coalition that will propel them to leadership. As a leader u set the agenda that the rest will adopt and use it as a tool for the conduct of business. Like embrace the positive development of Winnie Mandela and the rest of the progressive women who have and continue to challenge the status quo. I pay homage to a courageous woman in person of Ruth Sando Perry who in time of trouble engage warloads on a transitional team and as chairlady made sure that democratic election was held in Liberia. Ruth now reside in the great city of Columbus, Ohio with her children and relatives that she provided for. Thank God that these family members are taking care of Ruth in a special way that i admire. Ruth could have been home in Liberia but because of poor medical condition in our country she can't. She is a woman of valor unpretending and a today woman. Let keep the torch burning as we help empower our mothers.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyFri May 16, 2008 9:12 pm

bellah:
good points. i think the ability to put a woman in power rests not not in numbers bt a level of consciousness that shd not be specific to women. second, the positive attributes of women cannot be overestimated. their pivotal role in liberian history can also not be ignored. however, it is the ideal situation and not the reality, my brother.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyFri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Krazzy where the second part of the article??
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:36 am

it on my laptop Laughing
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:31 am

awaiting the second part and loving this th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World   Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World Empty

Back to top Go down

Physiology vs Politics-Women Leaders in a Man's World
Page 1 of 1