Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mary Broh again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : Mary Broh again Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:37 am

Mary Broh’s ‘Attack on Islam’: Sirleaf ‘Regrets’ Incident; Muslims Say ‘Not Enough

08/31/09 - Nat Nyuan Bayjay, nbayjay@frontpageafrica.com ( 231-6-402-737/231-77-402-737

TASK FORCE DISSOLVED: Acting Monrovia City Mayor Mary Broh. Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf on Monday dissolved the Special Presidential Task Force headed by Broh with immediate effect. The Force, the President says is no longer necessary, now that the Structure of the Monrovia city Corporation is in place. On the incident involving Muslims Badio said: “The incident, it is our understanding, affected some members of the Muslim community who were preparing to break their fast.”

Monrovia - L

iberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf has expressed regrets over an incident Saturday when personnel of the Monrovia City Corporation, acting under the umbrella of the Special Presidential Task Force, in a routine clean up exercise, raided areas along the Benson street mosque.

Despite the President's apology, Muslims at the Mosque where the weekend incident occurred are demanding the Broh herself apologize for the incident which took place during the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan.

Imam: “Broh Must Apologize Herself”

Iman Mohammed Sheriff, representing the chief iman and residing for the five-daily prayer described the Acting City Major’s action as an ‘attack on Islam’. He quoted Broh as saying, “These people are dirty. Your take down the whole s*** down” as food donated by President Ellen Johson-Sirleaf to the Muslim community that same day was being distributed.

The Imam continued: “She ordered her men to step the whole food. Just as the first person’s food was placed in his palm, her guards began stepping the food”, the head of the mosque said which, according to him, led to hundreds of Muslims being unable to end their fasts that Saturday.

Iman Sheriff said the incidence took place on Saturday, August 29 at exactly 6:30PM as muslims gathered to break their daily fast during this period of Ramadan.

He said Broh ignored a stockpile of dirt that gathered directly across from the mosque but rather chose to abuse them at their worship place which was very clean as food was being served.

Meanwhile, Iman Sheriff confirmed to FPA that the Liberian leader apologized on behalf of Broh to the entire Muslim community during their Sunday’s meeting with her—an information that is yet to be independently confirmed by the Executive Mansion. He said, “But we told her to make the apology an opened one to the entire public on radio stations and radio stations”.

'Not enough'

The “President’s apology” is not enough for the Muslim community which is demanding that the controversial Acting Major makes an open apology.

“Let Madame Broh herself apologize to us for her personal grudge against us, Muslims. We are expecting her to come here either today or tomorrow to do that according to information we received”,

The iman revealed that the Acting Major’s attack is an anticipated and planned one as she had earlier promised to ‘rage clean-up’ against the Benson and Newport Streets mosques. According to him, she made the threatening remarks when she and her team had earlier visited two nearby meat shops owned by Malians on August 24th (Flag Day).

Haja Aisha after three days of being “brutalized” during the incidence still appeared very critical and was refused treatment at a local clinic Malag Clinic on Mechlin Street. She was rather referred to the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Sinkor by the clinic’s medical staffs.

Addressing his weekly news briefing Monday, Presidential Press Secretary Cyrus Wleh Badio said the incident overshadowed the good intentions of the President who has been identifying with Muslims during the Holy Month of Ramadan. “The incident, it is our understanding, affected some members of the Muslim community who were preparing to break their fast.”

Said Badio: “As you may have heard in the news, the President of the Republic, Mrs. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has been identifying with Liberian Muslims as they celebrate the Holy Month of Ramadan. The President, through the Assistant Minister for Logistics, Mr. Varney Sirleaf, has begun distributing rice to mosques in the Monrovia area as part of her efforts to identify with our Muslim brothers and sisters as they observe Ramadan”

Badio said the President, on Sunday met with representatives of the Muslim Community, including the National Muslim Council of Liberia, the Imam Council, Muslim Students and the National Muslim Caucus, headed by Senator Fumbah Kanneh of Lofa County. During the meeting, also attended by a prominent Liberian Muslim, Mr. Alhaji Kromah, the President expressed regrets for the action of the Special Presidential Task Force, which she observed was uncalled for. “The President has offered an apology to Muslims for the incident. She has, in the meantime accepted a request for a meeting with representatives of Muslim Groups in Liberia following the fast month. The Muslim leaders requested to meet with the President to discuss issues of concern to the Muslim Community in Liberia”, said Badio.

In the aftermath of Saturday’s incident, Muslims reportedly went on the rampage and physically assaulted Broh, recently appointed as Acting Mayor of Monrovia. Eyewitnesses said police sealed off the sections of Benson and Mechlin Streets and Benson/Randall Streets to bring the situation under control.

The President, has meanwhile, dissolved the Special Presidential Task Force with immediate effect. The Force, the President says is no longer necessary, now that the Structure of the Monrovia city Corporation is in place.

In a related development, the opposition Liberty Party on Monday expressed concerns over what it called the continuous violation of the Constitution of Liberia by Sirleaf by appointing “Acting City Mayors,” without confirmation by the Liberian Senate, and authorizing them to carry out the functions of city mayors. The party called upon the President to instruct, without delay, her nominees for city mayors to desist from exercising the functions of city mayors until confirmed by the Liberian Senate. The President is reminded that her continuous violation of the Constitution of Liberia is a grave offense against her oath of office. Article 54 (d) of the Constitution of Liberia, which has been interpreted by the Supreme Court of Liberia, as empowering the President of Liberia to appoint city mayors, provides as follows: “The President shall nominate and, with the consent of the Senate appoint and commission- (d) superintendents, other county officials and officials of other political sub-divisions.”

That is, the nomination by the President of a city mayor or any other official of government listed under Article 54 of the Constitution, can be appointed and lawfully assume the functions of the office only upon confirmation by the Senate of Liberia. The constitutional provision cannot be circumvented by the President unilaterally, without the involvement of the Legislature, creating a new position of “acting city mayor”. If city mayors are not to be elected, as has been determined by the Supreme Court of Liberia, presidential nominees must be vetted by the Liberian Senate, on behalf of the people, to ensure that our current government does not become autocratic, with no regard for the will of the people.

The party also declared that the Charter of every city provides for succession to the office of city mayor in the event of death, removal, or resignation of the city mayor. Until the Legislature enacts a new law governing the administration of the affairs of cities in Liberia, the respective City Charters must continue to control. “Appointment of individuals by the President as city mayors, without the confirmation of the Liberian Senate contravenes the Supreme Court opinion, giving the President the authority to appoint city mayors, and violates the Constitution of Liberia.”
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 pm

I squarely blame the president for unwittingly cultivating this crap!
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Mary Broh again Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:01 am

which part da crap now...? the task force or the cussing? th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 am

Both! The task force is illegal and unconstitutional. The cussing and disrespect of other people's dignity is ridiculous! I had a convo with someone about this incident last night and their first comment was "but you know those muslims, they dirty and they different from us." WTF does that have to do anything? EJS is squandering the good will capital she had and if she and her friends are not careful, they will plunge Liberia into another war a few short years after the UN leaves.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am

Traveller wrote:
Both! The task force is illegal and unconstitutional. The cussing and disrespect of other people's dignity is ridiculous! I had a convo with someone about this incident last night and their first comment was "but you know those muslims, they dirty and they different from us." WTF does that have to do anything? EJS is squandering the good will capital she had and if she and her friends are not careful, they will plunge Liberia into another war a few short years after the UN leaves.

yeah, you have a point.....
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 am

still...LOL
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:25 am

Dis heffa nah turn dey country into more of a joke!

http://monroviacitycorp.org/
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:18 am

and people recording all her cussing (because she does it on radio) and they say they waiting to play it during the next elections...ellen should cut this woman from her list of 'friends'. she is hurting her!
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 am

Broh Bows

Updated: September 2, 2009 - 11:08am
News Section:

• Politics

Mary Broh again Mary%20n%20muslims
Broh in warm handshake with Muslim leaders

Says She's in for Peace

By:
Fatoumata Fofana

MONROVIA -- Acting Monrovia City Mayor, Mary Taryonoh Broh, has offered sincere apologies to the Liberian Muslim Community for ordering a raid of areas along the Benson Street Mosque in Monrovia during a routine clean-up exercise.
The incident, which resulted in a brief clash between fasting Muslims and the now disbanded Special Presidential Task Force, then led by Madam Broh, took place on Saturday while Muslims were breaking their day-long fast.
At about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Broh, accompanied by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, along with other top ranking government officials, met with leaders of the Muslim community at the Benson Street Mosque.
There, Broh extended her apologies in these words: “I know that the tension was there, and I would like to make sure that going forward, we can all understand each other.
“Whenever I want to implement my ordinance in the communities or municipalities, I will consult with the leaders or make sure that such an exercise is communicated to members of the community; not just the Muslim Community, but any other community for that matter.
“I will have my community service and I work along with the various groups. If I want anything done on Benson Street, in this area, I will come along and talk to the Muslim Council. In this way, there will be no more misunderstanding. So in short, I want to make peace.”
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf had this to say: “I came with the Acting Mayor to just follow up on the meeting we had on Sunday. To say to you that we express our apologies for anything that happened here the last time. As I said to all of you, this country belongs to everybody. There’s no one group, one relation, one tribe that is bigger or better than the other. There are times, there will be incidents when some people will be unfortunate and lead to tension. But we as leaders, we have to find a way to subdue the tension.”
The Muslims, through a spokesperson, told the President that the fact that she met with them in person to apologize was indeed a manifestation of her true leadership.
“A leader is not a ruler. A leader leads his/her people to prosperity, to security, and this is what you have done tonight. We want to say that we accept this apology with honor. We thank you and say to you that everything is over,” they said to the President.
To Broh, they said: “Consult us, and we will advice you on what to do in the best interest of the Liberian people.”
President Sirleaf dissolved the controversial task force under Broh after Muslims and some Christians described the mayor’s actions as ‘barbaric and ruthless’.
She also expressed disdain and repugnance over the incident, saying Broh’s actions, were ‘uncalled for’.
Presidential Press Secretary, Cyrus W. Badio, told reporters Monday that Broh’s actions had threatened to undermine the President’s continued efforts to reach out to Liberia’s Muslim community.
Badio said President Sirleaf had already offered an in-person apology for the incident during a well-attended meeting with representatives of the Muslim community and the National Muslim Caucus.
The Liberian Chief Executive has also accepted a request for a meeting with representatives of Muslim groups in the country, which will take place after Ramadan.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 am

i tiya yah
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Mary broh da Ellen's Joe tate th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 pm

ehn hen....let her not take it to the extreme joe tate level o!
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 pm

But she still did not apologize! Only the president offered a clear and unequivocal apology.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 pm

the muslim people vex.. says Ellen went to the Mosque to apologise adn didnt even enter...
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Mary Broh again Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 am

krazzy wrote:
and people recording all her cussing (because she does it on radio) and they say they waiting to play it during the next elections...ellen should cut this woman from her list of 'friends'. she is hurting her!

Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Sponsored content

Mary Broh again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Broh again   Mary Broh again Empty

Back to top Go down

Mary Broh again
Page 1 of 1