Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo

Go down 
+7
LadyFlo
LovinLiberia
Traveller
Philomath
Geyla Queen
gadyu
bellah
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Empty
PostSubject: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:25 am

Man’s Best Friend’ Now a Hit Menu in Liberia: Consumers, Hunt for Dogs Up
07/124/08 - Mae Azango, mazango@FrontPageAfrica.com

Monrovia -

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Cshop
Cook Shops like this one in the Gobachop Community in Red Light, Paynesville is a hot spot for meals serving dogs.

Dogs are one of the best friendly pets to humans (Man’s Best Friend) and serve as watchman in many instances while people sometimes used them for entertainment. In some countries, dogs are traded as goods for comfort and transportation like the Eskimo Dogs in some part of Asia with others serving as security for blind people and also helping the police track down criminals.

In post-war Liberia, dogs have become the best source of food for many and the business of dog is becoming lucrative prompting widespread hunt for dogs.

Dog meat is now 'The Issue'

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Dogmeat
At the Gobachop Community, one of the major trading centers for dog meat is dominantly occupied by people from Nimba and Grand Bassa Counties.

Densely populated communities in Monrovia and suburbs have become trading centers for dog meat referred to as “Issue”. Hundreds are seen cueing and struggling on a daily basis to get dog meat as cars are parked around the vicinities of dog cooking centers. The dog meat market now has three partners who coordinate their activities to keep a constant supply of the meat on the market for the growing number of consumers.

People are keeping dogs in good numbers for commercial purpose and sell to the buyers who in turn sell to the cookers and retailers of the animal after been cut into pieces and cooked. The Gobachop Community in Red Light, Paynesville, a densely populated market center has nowadays become one of the hottest centers for dog meat trade.

People are seen in numbers from other parts of Monrovia at a building behind the market where an elderly lady only identify as Oldma Krubo, popularly known as the “Issue Oldma” sells the dog meat. In the Gobachop Market area, according to a source, small dogs are sold for US$ 10, while medium size and bigger ones are sold between U$15 to 20 respectively.

The source further said young boys are found stealing dogs from homes which are taken to the “Issue Oldma” for sale but in such case she pays less than US$ 10.

Our reporter who recently visited the Gobachop dog cooking and eating center, pretending to be a customer, bought fours pieces of raw dog meat as the cook ones were not ready; the head, liver, a foot and two other pieces for L$ 100.

Half of the dog head is sold for L$ 70 but was negotiated for L$60 while other pieces are sold for L$ 10 each, chosen by customers. It was noticed that two dogs were already in a big pot on the fire while two were been cut into pieces and undergoing preparation for cooking by 10: am. Several Liberians also have job opportunities out of the dog meat market as about six to seven persons are seen working, some cooking, others cleaning new goods, while others go around selling from place to place in buckets the already prepared meat.

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Dog

Unknown fate: A dog await his time

As a result of the new demand for dog meat, dogs are becoming scare in Monrovia and environs as some individuals go about chasing dogs from community to community and wherever they are spotted during the day, at nightfall those places are seized by dog hunters and the dogs are killed while the owners are in bed.

Alfred Sayon, a resident of 16th Street in Sinkor said he sleeps with his dog indoor for fear of been killed by dog hunters. He explained that recently in his community a fight broke out between two men that resulted into the use of cutlass and other sharp objects because one of the men felt cheated over a stolen dog.

Sayon said he is surprise that such incident will occur on 16th street that has not been known for dog eating, indicating that other places with records of dog eating like Buzzi Quarter, West Point, Logan Town, amongst others might be worse.

Dog hunt creating confusion

The dog hunt is also creating confusion in most communities, as residents in some instances sue others for killing their dogs. Quite recently, the Magisterial Court at the Temple of Justice in Monrovia sent a man, Thomas Mulbah to detention at the Monrovia Central prison on charges of cruelty to animal and theft of property following a complaint filed by a lady, Ellen Z. Whyte.

Mulbah was taken to court by Madam Whyte on allegation of killing her two dogs on 14th street in Sinkor on June 17. Complainant Whyte told the court that Mulbah had killed her dogs on three occasions and used them for commercial purpose.

According to Complainant Whyte, Mulbah in recent time paid L$1,200 for one of her dogs he killed following intense pressure concerning the whereabouts of the dogs. Whyte contended that while it is true that dogs are animals, they too have rights and must not be killed at will. In Other parts of the country, there are also reports that dogs are been sold on main streets with people buying publicly.

Harbel, Margibi County, where Firestone Plantation Liberia, one of the largest producers of raw rubber is based, has in the past been viewed as one of the well known trading centers in dog. Over the years, and now, people are seen negotiating for dogs which are kept until the end of every month when the company is paying workers and the dogs are taken to Harbel where they are sold for up to US$ 50 and above depending on the size.

Dogs for rice becoming the norm

Sometimes the dogs are traded for US parboiled rice and some compensation.

Before the war era, dogs were believed to be sold in a local community, Buzzi Quarter leading to many avoiding residing in the area for fear of been termed as dog eaters. Residents of the Buzzi Quarter community were stigmatized as a result of the dog trading activities in the neighborhood which many claimed were dominantly occupied by people from Lofa County.

In Liberia, dog eating has been ascribed to people hailing from Lofa mainly the Lormas, Kissis, Gbandis but it seems as though it is practiced in recent time by nearly all the tribes. The Gobachop Community, one of the major trading centers for dog meat is dominantly occupied by people from Nimba and Grand Bassa Counties. Surrounding communities are named in honor of the Gios and Bassas; Gio Town, Bassa Town.

Across Monrovia, debates are raging in support for and against the habit of dog eating and trading. Some argue that dogs are human best friend and must not be eaten no matter the situation while others say there is nothing wrong with eating dogs.

“Dogs are humans it is only that God made them that way, so I don’t know why people will decide to eat them, sometimes dogs talk to you like humans especially when you keep them around you for longer period”, Madam Alice Coleman owner of a local restaurant expressed.

No health problem, man says

Emmanuel Saah, a 32 year old man said dogs are like any other animals and there is no unhealthy problem involved in the eating of dogs.

“Dogs are animal only that they live in town and so what’s wrong with eating them, in fact dogs are greasy than any other animals and good to eat, we call it town raccoon”, Saah asserted. Some of the dogs traded are very itchy and appear sickly but Saah said the ones that appear itchy are very greasy. As the trading in dog increases, there are mixed views with people claiming that restaurants and food centers are involved in the cooking of dogs since meat is very expensive on the Liberian market.

A thigh of black deer meat is sold between L$ 375 to 450 and other bigger animals such as reindeer, raccoons, etc are sold for higher prices. The high price for meat has also been blamed for increase in the consumption of dogs as some people see dogs as possible substitute for meat.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 am

Candy that true our peopo so desperate that dey na turn to be the Gbetah people of Grand Kru in dog eating.............I thought the war was over.........
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 am

No, you wrong. Don't say dey eating dog.
Say more people eating dog now.

Before it was only Buzzi and Gizzi, and some Kru.

Now everybody eating dog. Young geh, young boy, Kpelleh, congau and even Vai people, Americo dem and all eating dog.

People from NKT and Saigon, from Paynesville.

Only people not involved in that nonsense are people from Old Road and Congau Town.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 am

Where did you get this one from..I want see your source/link or whatever
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:30 am

Geyla Queen wrote:

You nah easy oh, every tin people post they must show you their link or sausage or whatever....chay affraid
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Number of posts : 306
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Happy
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:33 am

gadyu wrote:
No, you wrong. Don't say dey eating dog.
Say more people eating dog now.

Before it was only Buzzi and Gizzi, and some Kru.

Now everybody eating dog. Young geh, young boy, Kpelleh, congau and even Vai people, Americo dem and all eating dog.

People from NKT and Saigon, from Paynesville.

Only people not involved in that nonsense are people from Old Road and Congau Town.
Are you show of what you are saying. I knew some young guys who use to hunt dogs at night in Congo town. Old road have a dog eating community, it is called Keyhole. Those guys in that community love it too much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:36 am

People got the taste of dog after the wor and refuse to let it on. The Kissi, Loma and buzzi tribe were well known for dog eating but at present, it is nation wide.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:37 am

You really from Old Road for true, okay yes. Few displaced people in keyhole and old road market where they have a dog meat restaurant doing that bad thing.

They say iffy korean people can eat it and they still Korean, then they can do it too and still be Gissi or from Barclayville in Grand Kru.

As for me, I cant look in the dog ear and eat it. Have you ever looked in dog ear before in Liberia?
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 am

Philomath wrote:
People got the taste of dog after the wor and refuse to let it on. The Kissi, Loma and buzzi tribe were well known for dog eating but at present, it is nation wide.

I knew this one pappay on the rubber farm, we used to call him Tamba, but when you ask him his name, he will say, "I be Tamba, dog eatah." lol!
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:44 am

gadyu wrote:
You really from Old Road for true, okay yes. Few displaced people in keyhole and old road market where they have a dog meat restaurant doing that bad thing.

They say iffy korean people can eat it and they still Korean, then they can do it too and still be Gissi or from Barclayville in Grand Kru.

As for me, I cant look in the dog ear and eat it. Have you ever looked in dog ear before in Liberia?
th_ROFLMAO no, I once live on bushrod Island but knew nearly every community in and around Monrovia. Yes, I had a dog back home and always use to bath him every sunday and after his bath clean in his ears. If the dog is not taken care of properly, the fleas usually get in ears and grow big and bigger, sucking every little blood from the dog.

How will you look in the ears before eating it? It is usually burn and clean, ready for cooking.
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

gadyu wrote:
Philomath wrote:

I knew this one pappay on the rubber farm, we used to call him Tamba, but when you ask him his name, he will say, "I be Tamba, dog eatah." lol!
th_ROFLMAO he is one of those people you cannot play with when it comes to dog.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 am

Geyla Queen wrote:

FrontpageAfrica oh GQ...
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:54 am

Before the war, the Gbeatah people from Grand Kru were eating dog but for it to spread to other tribe it is sickening...We need to pass law to protect our pets in Liberia...Those who like to eat in restaurant in Liberia be careful oh cause u don't know what they cooking......
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 am

bellah wrote:
Before the war, the Gbeatah people from Grand Kru were eating dog but for it to spread to other tribe it is sickening...We need to pass law to protect our pets in Liberia...Those who like to eat in restaurant in Liberia be careful oh cause u don't know what they cooking......
FDA came out with a law on animals protection some time ago but I don't know how strong it is. I don't want to believe that people cook dog at the various restaurants. It is commonly found in Buzzi quarter.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:07 am

gadyu wrote:
Geyla Queen wrote:

You nah easy oh, every tin people post they must show you their link or sausage or whatever....chay affraid

lol! th_yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:19 am

Please say this ain't so!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 am

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo 2671288705_d951483523_m Ah, this not Lib oh...
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 am

Traveller wrote:

That true oh...Our people have change and dey eating all kind of things...Gadyu, tell Vicky to make sure that all the dry meats from Liberia will be check thoroughly oh...
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 am

gadyu wrote:
Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo 2671288705_d951483523_m Ah, this not Lib oh...
OMG... they have it written on the board.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:30 am

bellah wrote:
Traveller wrote:

That true oh...Our people have change and dey eating all kind of things...Gadyu, tell Vicky to make sure that all the dry meats from Liberia will be check thoroughly oh...

Okay, for your cultural affairs and tourism and information, we do not cook dry meat AT ALL...
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 am

Smoebody PLEASE tell Boerboel QUICK. He is in Lib right now visiting. Laughing
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:05 am

You late, he fini eating roast meat to old road junction....
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 am

gadyu wrote:
You late, he fini eating roast meat to old road junction....
I hope that person didn't eat sweet meet.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 am

"Buy your sweet meat here..."
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:10 am

gadyu wrote:
"Buy your sweet meat here..."
lol! yep, you know exactly what I'm talk about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo   Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo Empty

Back to top Go down

Dey eating Dog in Liberia ohhhhhhhh my pepo
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next