Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Empty
PostSubject: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 am

By Kate Thomas
Monrovia Liberians drop rice for spaghetti 999999

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti _44590125_mouth226
Tarr Sayeeh has now learnt how to eat spaghetti

Standing behind the wooden counter of his roadside restaurant, Emmanuel Biddle heaps piles of Liberian-style bolognese onto the plates of customers.

When the Liberian chef first added pasta to the menu of his traditional chop house, he didn't expect much success.

But as surging rice prices threaten to halt progress in fragile countries like Liberia, local people are changing life-long habits and switching to cheaper staple foods such as spaghetti.

Liberia imports 90% of its rice from Asia and the US.
In the last six months, the price has more than doubled, making it unaffordable for many ordinary Liberians.

Spicy spaghetti
Spaghetti shacks like Mr Biddle's are springing up in the Paynesville district of Monrovia, a working-class neighbourhood rarely visited by expatriates.
"To encourage customers, I prepare my spaghetti the Liberian way, with lots of African [chilli] pepper. I cut the spaghetti in two to make it easy for my customers to eat" he says.

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti O Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Start_quote_rb I should be raising my prices but I don't want to lose any more customers Liberians drop rice for spaghetti End_quote_rb Viola Nelson

Rice seller He serves more than 60 customers every day and prices start at less than one US dollar.

Customer Tarr Sayeeh is sitting at the counter, showing his girlfriend how to twirl strands of spaghetti onto a fork.

"Spaghetti is a cheaper option than rice. It's my fifth time at this restaurant and I like the flavour. I used to have problems eating it but now the fork helps me," he says.
A few metres away, Viola Nelson's traditional rice restaurant is shrouded in darkness; a casualty of the rice crisis.

She has been serving traditional Liberian dishes such as jollof rice for 14 years, but price hikes have halted trade.

Ms Nelson charges customers $2 for a plate of jollof rice, but she says she barely covers her own costs.

"I'm not making a profit these days. I should be raising my prices but I don't want to lose any more customers. If the food crisis gets worse I will be left with nothing," she says.

'Diversify'
At the buzzing Old Road Market on the outskirts of Monrovia, the price of a 50 kg bag of rice has shot up to $34.

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti _44590126_62026a93-6a19-44a4-9012-4bc57d595b14
Augustus Geepo's rice is too expensive for many people

A crate (40 packets, which provides a similar amount of food to 50kg of rice) of maize or millet-based spaghetti, imported from the US, is sold for $12.

Rice vendor Augustus Geepo, perched on a pile of unsold bags, says sales have dropped dramatically as a result of the food crisis.

A year ago, he could easily sell 40 bags of rice a day. Now he is lucky if he shifts 10.
But the trade in pasta is increasing.

Commercial radio stations broadcast advertisements for spaghetti and in the canteen of the United Nations base in Voinjama, northern Liberia, rice pudding has been replaced by spaghetti pudding.

Even Liberia's Minister for Agriculture Chris Toe has caught onto the new trend.

"Liberians traditionally only eat rice with sauce. This might be an opportunity for us to diversify our diets," he says.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 am

Candy, so yor coming start eating spaghetti...we here crying for gas and your crying for rice...lord help us
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:50 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
Candy, so yor coming start eating spaghetti...we here crying for gas and your crying for rice...lord help us

spagetti and Palm butter.... very juicy :P
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:01 am

Just let me know oh and I'll ship you some ramen noodles...it plenty here oh...you get 10 pack for $1.00 th_mrgreen They have lots of variety see below...just pick the one you want smile_approve

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_beefLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_chickenLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_shrimpLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_orientalLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_picantebeefLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_chiliflavor
Beef Chicken Shrimp OrientalPicante Beef Chili
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:04 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
Just let me know oh and I'll ship you some ramen noodles...it plenty here oh...you get 10 pack for $1.00 th_mrgreen They have lots of variety see below...just pick the one you want smile_approve

Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_beefLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_chickenLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_shrimpLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_orientalLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_picantebeefLiberians drop rice for spaghetti Tr_chiliflavor
Beef ChickenShrimpOrientalPicante BeefChili

th_ROFLMAO it plenty here...
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 am

candygirl wrote:
Geyla Queen wrote:

Beef ChickenShrimpOrientalPicante BeefChili

th_ROFLMAO it plenty here...

ok good th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:20 am

Sounds like women drop men for other women...will happen to some, but the majority will stay with men.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 3:40 am

candygirl wrote:
Geyla Queen wrote:

spagetti and Palm butter.... very juicy :P

Spagetti and Palm butter...what a hard time combination oh. Just let during the war we were eating "bobo john"
Back to top Go down
mahyou

mahyou

Female
Number of posts : 89
My Mood : Liberians drop rice for spaghetti InLove
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 am

spaghetti and palm butter?? th_sorry ...what a combination.
What about more fufu, dumboy, gari, plantains, eddoes, cassava...etc. Candy...pls take note.. th_hi...no chicken business oh...me i want eat only dry bonny lol! .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liberians drop rice for spaghetti   Liberians drop rice for spaghetti Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1