Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-05-02

DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper Empty
PostSubject: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Hope you enjoy it more than I did, CG. I've read two excerpts of this book and I must say I'm gravely disappointed....sorry to enter the confessional so early in the am, especially since this is the first major book release by a Liberian who worked for two esteemed news publication, WSJ and NYTimes...It seems a bit shallow and too misguided for my liking...I remember emailing Helene Cooper some time in the early 2000s, based on some frivolous comments she made relative to the Liberian war and situation...I was hoping she was going to redeem herself in my mind with this book, not that she owes me anything... I'll still read the book... Maybe I'm missing something or it's only me!!!!
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 10:18 pm

the first excerpt was ok.. this one got me like ....... affraid

thing though, these excerpts really exposes/show the vast divide between the classes of peopel before the 1980 coup....

the vast wealth enjoyed by a handful only......am really happy i grew up in the "New Age", where i can affiliate, befriend peopel of all backgrounds and tribal origins.......................the war did that, i guess.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm not against someone writing about how the elite lived....i guess what I don't like is the tone/ point of view in both excerpts, which seems to be perpertuating stereotypes of blacks and africans -> the big lips, big nose, christian dior shades, shades of black, long flowing hair, diamonds, thin.... i've read several books where the author effectively shows the disparities between the classes due to color, tribal affiliation, etc without appearing an elitist.....Helen has lived in NYC for the past 30 yrs....She left LIB when she was 14.... Did she learn nothing from her life as an African American woman in USA.....Where is that reflected in her writing????

What does she want her reader to walk away feeling, that she was one of the elite in LIB... That's it???? We got that from the first page..... She started this excerpt with the subtitle: This is about rogues... Huh?????

And Bubba Town where the country people lived????? Hiding Mandingos in the basement???? Very comical.... Hopefully there would be an influx of tourists to see where and how the country liberians live......

I must say that I did enjoy some of her figures of speech tho, such as complexion like milk candy -> very authentic..
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 pm

jocelyn...i told my nine yr old yesterday about this. he is reading the book (don't know why i allowed him but he is reading). he said to me:

...mama, first i was vex because helene cooper said her ma slapped the cook but you know whatz making me vex now? why she keep talking about her pa lips and palm butter and her ma flat lips? she think she white woman?

in my mind, i was like bingo! that book is a provocation... in a way that stresses me.
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

candy..u read the entire book? i have a copy i am willing to share (when profs. koc and james are done reading)
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

for some reason i am barely able to log on here.. i think our network is having problems...

no, havent read it... can i stop by ...? if the Proffs are done, of course! LOL
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 pm

next week...
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 pm

havent read it myself but from Jocelyn i'm interested in reading it now. and sure will write her if what she's saying is true. provocative indeed...

do u guys know if its sold anywhere around me?...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper   DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper Empty

Back to top Go down

DISCUSSION: The House at Sugar Beach By Helene Cooper
Page 1 of 1