Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby

Go down 
+2
singbe67
candygirl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Empty
PostSubject: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 5:32 pm

By JAMES HANNAH
, AP
posted: 2 HOURS 7 MINUTES AGO

Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Untitl10

DAYTON, Ohio (Sept. 3) -- A woman convicted of murdering her infant daughter by microwaving her was spared the death penalty Wednesday by a jury that couldn't reach a unanimous decision.
China Arnold showed no immediate reaction, but she smiled and waved to family members as deputies led her from the courtroom. Her relatives told her they loved her.

Jury Unable to Agree
China Arnold arrives in court Tuesday for the sentencing phase of her trial in Dayton, Ohio. On Aug. 29, a jury convicted her of killing her 1-month-old daughter, Parris Talley, by placing her in a microwave oven in 2005. The jury could not reach a unanimous agreement on whether to impose the death penalty."I love you all, too," said Arnold, 28.
The defense had argued that Arnold was drunk when the offense occurred and had no motive, while prosecutors had called the crime "heinous" as they argued for the death penalty.
After about five hours of deliberation, the jury told Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Mary Wiseman that it couldn't decide whether to recommend the death penalty or life in prison, and that it wouldn't be able to make such a decision even if it deliberated through Thursday.
Wiseman is now limited to sentencing Arnold to life in prison without parole, life without parole for at least 30 years, or life without parole for at least 25 years. She plans to impose her sentence Monday.
Arnold was accused of killing month-old Paris Talley in 2005. A judge declared a mistrial in February, and the retrial began Aug. 18. The jury found Arnold guilty Friday of aggravated murder.
"It's not about achieving the death penalty," Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor David Franceschelli said after the jury's announcement. "The judge is going to figure out the appropriate penalty. The jurors in this case took a shot at sentencing, and for whatever reason 12 people couldn't come to the same conclusion."
Outside the courthouse, Arnold's relatives hugged one another.
"We're relieved that an innocent person didn't receive the death penalty," said defense attorney Jon Paul Rion. "It doesn't make sense that a person who has had no real problems in their life can even be accused of something like this."
Rion had asked Tuesday for a new trial, saying a former cellmate who said Arnold confessed to the crime has changed her story. Wiseman has not ruled on the motion and said she would schedule a hearing.
Rion said he plans to present witnesses that point to another person being responsible for the baby's death.
During the trial, an 8-year-old boy said he saw another boy walk into the kitchen of a nearby apartment with the baby, heard the microwave go on and then later saw the burned baby in the microwave.
Attorneys for both sides addressed the jury before deliberations on Wednesday. The fact that Arnold had been a Girl Scout, that her father died when she was young and that she comes from a close family does not outweigh the seriousness of the crime, Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor Daniel Brandt said.
"That tells us she has no excuses for her actions," he said.
Defense attorney Kevin Lennen urged the jury not to recommend the death penalty, saying Arnold was drunk at the time and that she had no motive to kill her child.
Franceschelli had the last word, calling the crime "heinous." He pulled out a wristwatch and waved it at jurors.
"If this is not the time for the death penalty, when is the time?" he said
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male
Number of posts : 201
Say Whatever : Life is a State of Mind
My Mood : Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Relaxed
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Damn, this is gruelsome. Justice denied. How can an eight year boy's testimony be taken seriously?
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:42 pm

you think the lilboy was lying?
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 pm

candygirl wrote:
you think the lilboy was lying?

He might not have known what he was talking. That man is a minor.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:49 pm

so being a minor means he dont know microwave?
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 8:25 pm

He said he saw a boy walk into the kitchen and heard the microwave, he didn't see for sure, he is speculating.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Kids do weird and awful stuff....tying firecrackers to captured frogs and lizards, shooting kittens with BB guns, etc. A few years ago, a kid in Flrida was convicted of killing his younger cousin while playing wrestling with her. Without knowing the full details of teh case, maybe its plausible that this woman did nt do this crime. Of course, if she did then she is completely stone looney!
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Traveller wrote:
Kids do weird and awful stuff....tying firecrackers to captured frogs and lizards, shooting kittens with BB guns, etc. A few years ago, a kid in Flrida was convicted of killing his younger cousin while playing wrestling with her. Without knowing the full details of teh case, maybe its plausible that this woman did nt do this crime. Of course, if she did then she is completely stone looney!

Actually it is either way traveller. On your side of the world, a lot of wierd things do happen.
Back to top Go down
RossWorld

RossWorld

Male
Number of posts : 644
Say Whatever : "An Ass, having put on the Lion's skin, roamed about in the Forest, and amused himself"
My Mood : Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 9:02 pm

whether thr crime was committed or not, this is insane.. why I'm trying to figure out here how come a jury of 15persons couldn't come up with a verdict.... was it that they weren't too sure if she guilty or innocent.
Back to top Go down
http://rossworld.hi5.com
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 pm

singbe67 wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Actually it is either way traveller. On your side of the world, a lot of wierd things do happen.

So weird things don't happen on "your" side of the world????
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 10:47 pm

lol.... but did they perform an autopsy or she discarded the body....
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 10:55 pm

DAYTON, Ohio

A woman who shared a jail cell with a mother accused of killing her baby by burning her in a microwave oven told a jury Thursday that the mom confessed to the crime, saying the month-old girl "fit right in" the oven.

Linda Williams testified that she developed a sexual relationship with defendant China Arnold when the two were cellmates in the Montgomery County Jail in March and that Arnold confided in her about what happened to her baby.

She said Arnold feared her boyfriend believed he wasn't the father of the child and was going to leave her.

"She said she put the baby into the microwave and started it and left the house," Williams said.

Williams said she asked Arnold how she got the child into the oven.

"She said she fit right in," Williams said.

Sitting at the defense table, the 27-year-old Arnold showed little emotion as her trial got under way in the August 2005 death of Paris Talley at their Dayton home.

Under cross examination by defense attorney Jon Paul Rion, Williams acknowledged that she met with police investigators after the conversation and initially said Arnold told her she didn't know how the baby had died.

Williams, who has since been released from jail, said she didn't tell investigators about Arnold's confession earlier because she had feelings for the mother.

"The evidence is going to show that she did not purposely take the life of her own baby," Rion said in his opening statement.

Rion said other people had access to the baby, Arnold was intoxicated to the point of blacking out when the child died and people questioned about the case changed their stories. Rion also raised questions about the reliability of the science when it comes to determining the effect of microwaves on humans.

Russell Uptegrove, a forensic pathologist with the Montgomery County coroner's office, said the thermal burns on the baby were different from those that would have been suffered in a fire, an electrical shock or by hot water, an iron or with chemicals. He said it took him awhile to consider that the burns may have come from a microwave oven.

"It was so heinous to think of that, that I couldn't convince myself it was a real possibility," Uptegrove said.

He said DNA recovered from the ceiling of the oven matched that of the baby.

During the opening statement by Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor Daniel Brandt, a photo of the burned baby was flashed on a screen for the 12-member jury to see. Arnold sat quietly, occasionally jotting notes on a yellow legal pad.

Brandt said Arnold killed the child after arguing with her boyfriend over whether they had been faithful to each other.

When the couple brought the baby to the hospital, Brandt said, Arnold exclaimed: "'I killed my baby. I killed my baby."'

Brandt said Arnold later told police it never would have happened had she not gotten so drunk. He said Arnold, who has been in jail since she was charged in November 2006, told Williams she had killed the baby in the microwave and other inmates that she hadn't meant to do it.

Rion said Arnold, who has three sons, loved having a daughter and quit college and her job so she could stay home and take care of her. Rion said Arnold's boyfriend was the father of the child, and it couldn't have been anyone else.

During a pretrial hearing on Jan. 11, defense witness Robert Belloto, a staff pharmacist at Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton, testified that he doesn't believe it would have been possible for Arnold to place the baby in the microwave because the woman was so drunk.

Belloto said Arnold told him she had consumed about 40 percent of a pint of high-proof rum in 90 minutes. But he acknowledged that he had no corroboration for her claim.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 pm

wow angry1 No
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:02 pm

too sad...what a horrible way to die...poor child!
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:05 pm

i am telling you mehn. i reading the thing goose bumps comigno n me
here peopel them here lookign for baby then others cooking theirs. wicked woman. life sentence too good.
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Traveller wrote:
singbe67 wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Not like the kind that happen on your end. Imagine a man imprisoning his daughter and having her for several years.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:52 pm

singbe67 wrote:
Traveller wrote:
singbe67 wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Not like the kind that happen on your end. Imagine a man imprisoning his daughter and having her for several years.

Of course, that is nothing like female genital mutilaiton right? And of oucrse that hardly compars to throwing a burning tire around someone's neck because they are suspected of being a criminal, right?? And maybe I shouldn't even mentoin the hordes of men RIGHT IN LIBERIA who spend all their time preying on pre-pubescent young girls. My man, talk something good mehn!
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Traveller wrote:
[

Of course, that is nothing like female genital mutilaiton right? And of oucrse that hardly compars to throwing a burning tire around someone's neck because they are suspected of being a criminal, right?? And maybe I shouldn't even mentoin the hordes of men RIGHT IN LIBERIA who spend all their time preying on pre-pubescent young girls. My man, talk something good mehn!

th_iagree
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 10:58 pm

This is just crazy... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby   Mom Gets Life for Microwaving Baby Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1