Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kpelleboy

Male
Number of posts : 577
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC Empty
PostSubject: Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC   Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 am

Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC News_405 President Ellen Sirleaf’s Appearance Before TRC: I Beg to Differ
By: Arthur B. Dennis
On July 14, 2008, Abdoulaye W. Dukule’ published an article on the Perspective website, disclosing that President Ellen-Johnson Sirleaf had agreed to testify before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). Dukule’ applauded the President’s decision and said it would remove the veil of suspicion over her. If this is true, I beg to differ and call on President Sirleaf to reconsider her decision. Here are my reasons. Under our constitution, there is no single language, requiring a sitting President to testify before a quasi-judicial tribunal or a hand-picked commission. There is also no clear judicial precedent under our laws, requiring a sitting President to appear in court. Even in Clinton v. Jones (1994), a U. S. District Court said, “although presidents have responded to written interrogations, given depositions, and provided videotaped testimony, no sitting president in U. S. history has ever testified or been ordered to testify in open court or before a quasi-judicial tribunal.”
Full Story
Back to top Go down

Ellen Sirleaf Must Not Go to TRC
Page 1 of 1