Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2008-04-25

What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians Empty
PostSubject: What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians   What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:10 am

"...What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians"

(Jul 15, 2008) By: Natalie Hughes (Guest Commentary)

It was one year ago that I sat on the foot of the small home in Buduburam refugee settlement, wondering what my friends and family were doing for the Fourth of July celebrations back in the United States. I remember being disappointed that I wasn't able to watch the fireworks or barbeque like I had for several years in the past. Rather than taking advantage of being with my new Liberian and Ghanaian friends, I was “mopping” about how I couldn't celebrate America's independence the old fashion way. Now, as I celebrated this Fourth of July in Phoenix, Arizona, I regret having being so stupid as to worry about hot dogs and pool parties.

This year, I was “mopping” that I wasn't at Buduburam, eating cassava and groundnut soup. Most people assume that because I am a white, middle class, and a university student, I would have no interest in African affairs, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I have become enthralled in Liberia's progress since the first day I walked onto the camp. I cannot pinpoint what it was that made me fall in love with Liberians - their amazing spirits, their eagerness to move forward, and their enthusiasm about life.... No, it is an impossible task because Liberians as a whole are some of the wonderful people that I have encountered on this Earth. My respect for Liberians has only grown since returning to the United States.

Prior to leaving, I hadn't realized that the largest Liberian population living in the diaspora was right in my hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Of course, now I am living far away, but can't help but feel satisfied knowing that many Liberians are improving their lives here in the States while Liberia is being transformed into a peaceful democracy. My only hope is that those who still remain in Buduburam and throughout the Diaspora know that they have not been forgotten, and that from afar, many people are working endless hours to make Liberia a place that reflects those who call it home.

Until than, I hope that Minnesota is a welcoming, exciting place for Liberians. I hope that it opens many doors, especially for Liberian youth, so that once they have received a formal education they can return to their country and become the leaders who bring reconciliation and prosperity to their country.

Editor's Note: Natalie Hughes was born and raised in St. Paul, Minnesota. She is currently living inTempe, Arizona where is a senior at Arizona State University, pursuing a major in Global Studies with a concentration in Conflict and Ethnic Violence. She studied abroad in Ghana, West Africa in the summer of 2007. There, she interned for the National Catholic Secretariat at Buduburam Refugee Camp. Since then, she has furthered her interest in Liberia's progress by volunteering at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's hearings in St. Paul, Minnesota. For any further question, please contact info@theliberianjournal.com
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians Empty
PostSubject: Re: What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians   What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:18 am

Their welcoming spirit and plenty talking ........senior Gossippersssssss
Back to top Go down

What it was that made me fall in love with Liberians
Page 1 of 1