Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama to Become Honorary AKA

Go down 
+3
LovinLiberia
Geyla Queen
Queen_AKA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Obama to Become Honorary AKA Empty
PostSubject: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Michelle Obama has accepted an honorary membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha, the oldest African-American sorority in the country, the group's president, Barbara A. McKinzie, has announced.

The sorority is celebrating its centennial with a week of celebrations in the District. It was founded at Howard University in 1908, and counts Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, and former Washington mayor Sharon Pratt among its members. Eleanor Roosevelt was also an honorary member of the organization, whose membership now stands at more than 200,000.

Obama, with her work as an attorney, healthcare executive, and activist, fits right into the professional network of the sorority.

The induction of the wife of Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic Party presidential nominee, will not take place during this week's convention, McKinzie said. Details have not yet been set.

Among those being inducted tomorrow are Rutgers University basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer and Wangari Muta Maathai, the Kenyan environmental and political activist who is the first African woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Though the organization said she will not be at the ceremony.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dc/2008/07/to_melodyakaaolcom_from_melody.html
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Obama to Become Honorary AKA Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:58 pm

th_cool ...yor just turned 100 this year too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
LovinLiberia

LovinLiberia

Female
Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Wow, that is great! I was wondering if any one of those organizations would grab her. She makes a good fit and she is awesome role model. I admire her so much!
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : Obama to Become Honorary AKA Happy

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:04 am

Queen_AKA wrote:

Michelle Obama has accepted an honorary membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha, the oldest African-American sorority in the country, the group's president, Barbara A. McKinzie, has announced.

The sorority is celebrating its centennial with a week of celebrations in the District. It was founded at Howard University in 1908, and counts Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, and former Washington mayor Sharon Pratt among its members. Eleanor Roosevelt was also an honorary member of the organization, whose membership now stands at more than 200,000.

Obama, with her work as an attorney, healthcare executive, and activist, fits right into the professional network of the sorority.

The induction of the wife of Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic Party presidential nominee, will not take place during this week's convention, McKinzie said. Details have not yet been set.

Among those being inducted tomorrow are Rutgers University basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer and Wangari Muta Maathai, the Kenyan environmental and political activist who is the first African woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Though the organization said she will not be at the ceremony.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dc/2008/07/to_melodyakaaolcom_from_melody.html

This shows that it pays a lot to do great things in life; you will always be honor for it. Michelle is a very intelligent woman and Barack always honor her input into whatever he is doing because she is his closest adviser.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 am

Yes, we just turned 100. Boy! Time flies. I heard the Boule' in DC was awesome! Yes, Michelle is a great pick! I have always admired her.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:11 am

Geyla Queen wrote:

Which one u are in GQ....CG they have sorority in Liberia too? All the time i was there i didn't hear about it....
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:16 am

Bellah, AKA used to be in Liberia o! I posted that link some time ago.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Obama to Become Honorary AKA Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:24 am

bellah wrote:
Geyla Queen wrote:

Which one u are in GQ....CG they have sorority in Liberia too? All the time i was there i didn't hear about it....

Obama to Become Honorary AKA Sigmag10
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:30 am

Queen_AKA wrote:
Yes, we just turned 100. Boy! Time flies. I heard the Boule' in DC was awesome! Yes, Michelle is a great pick! I have always admired her.

Your sorors blanketed DC! And of course, they did so in style.
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:35 am

Skee-Wee! Yes, Sir! This is a serious matter!
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 am

You all are at the DC convention center! That is major. We did n't even have that for our 100th.
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:43 am

Yes, the stories have been flowing in...I cannot wait to see the photos. smile_approve
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 am

Would have been nice if they cuold have gotten EJS to make a brief appearance at a plenary.
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:39 am

Yes, it really would have been nice o but I believe Ellen is in South Africa at the moment. Am I right?
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Obama to Become Honorary AKA Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 3:40 am

Will Obama join the UBF, I wonder. I used to be a grand master. It would really be good for the movement in Liberian mehn. Aye lawd the good ole times of tail coats and signs..........
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : Obama to Become Honorary AKA Happy

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:06 am

gadyu wrote:
Will Obama join the UBF, I wonder. I used to be a grand master. It would really be good for the movement in Liberian mehn. Aye lawd the good ole times of tail coats and signs..........
I think the UBF is still in Maryland county, is it true that those guys really killed people or it was just a myth?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:10 am

I lived there for two years. They did. I am terramycin Grebo.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 am

What is UBF???
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:45 am

My pops used to say they were Ugly Big Fools, but they are actually the United Brothers of Friendship. SMT was the Sisters of the Mysterious Ten, my aunt was in tht one, and they used to wear the red sashes on the white dresses and march with the swords and other cutting tools...lol
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 am

And I thought those were Freemasons
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 am

There may be a relationship. Most ugly big fools are free... th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:13 am

Read here, http://tinyurl.com/5j7bv9.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 am

There was also the IOGT...International Order of Good Templars. Richard Henries was in that one. I know........ Sad
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am

gadyu wrote:
Read here, http://tinyurl.com/5j7bv9.

Thanks! Very informative.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama to Become Honorary AKA   Obama to Become Honorary AKA Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1