Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DSP

DSP

Male
Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-04-02

How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life Empty
PostSubject: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 4:38 am

I know it's in alot of our collective cultures as Africans for parents to have alot of influence, but where do the boundaries lay? Should parents determine who their children marry, friends, how they raise their own children, or how they should manage their relationships? Should they know all the intimate details of their grown 25+ child's life?

Just curious...
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 5:35 am

It has it good side and flip side. It will have to depend on the culture of the family and how theu intend to bring up their child or children...
Back to top Go down
DSP

DSP

Male

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 5:43 am

bellah wrote:
It has it good side and flip side. It will have to depend on the culture of the family and how theu intend to bring up their child or children...

Watching some of these Nigerian movies its like some parents feel they own the children like property.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am

It all depend on the GROWN UP botton line. I don't tell my parents shit. I have only introduced 4 men to my parents and that includes my fiancé now. I'm just private like that though.

Maybe if money is involved the parent(s) feel like the can "control" their childs life and usually the child may allows it in fear of not my getting the money.

I also think some single parents use their kids as a form of entertainment, because they don't have a life of their own... some maybe even try to life vocariously through their children since they failed to reach their dreams/potential.

I notice that mosly with single mothers and their sons...some of these old ma dem need to stop "DATING" their sons and find a man of their own. They guilt them into everything and the son feels bad because she's a single mother and took care of him...bla bla bla.

I don't know scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
DSP

DSP

Male

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
It all depend on the GROWN UP botton line. I don't tell my parents shit. I have only introduced 4 men to my parents and that includes my fiancé now. I'm just private like that though.

Maybe if money is involved the parent(s) feel like the can "control" their childs life and usually the child may allows it in fear of not my getting the money.

I also think some single parents use their kids as a form of entertainment, because they don't have a life of their own... some maybe even try to life vocariously through their children since they failed to reach their dreams/potential.

I notice that mosly with single mothers and their sons...some of these old ma dem need to stop "DATING" their sons and find a man of their own. They guilt them into everything and the son feels bad because she's a single mother and took care of him...bla bla bla.

I don't know scratch

I'm in agreement with you. Alot of parents, especially African parents can be too imposing and try to guilt trip their children into control of their life. I feel that's selfish. Alot of them love to pull the honor thy mother and father card as if that means total control over ones life. I'm also with you on the idea that maybe they dont have a life or dont[ want to think about their so the put all of their attention on their children and grandchildren
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 pm

DSP wrote:
I know it's in alot of our collective cultures as Africans for parents to have alot of influence, but where do the boundaries lay? Should parents determine who their children marry, friends, how they raise their own children, or how they should manage their relationships? Should they know all the intimate details of their grown 25+ child's life?

Just curious...

well, i have a very close knit family and there are often times i have advises from elder famiy memebers who feel that i MUST take their advice or feel they have a right to meddle in things are arent really their business....
in cases liek these, i usualy listen to what they say, and say " i hear you oh, i will think about it" and promtply go and do just what i want....

they say "ok" cant spoil plawa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life   How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life Empty

Back to top Go down

How Much Say/Influence/Power Should Parents Have Over a GROWN UP's Life
Page 1 of 1