Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)

Go down 
+4
krazzy
candygirl
Edina
Geyla Queen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Empty
PostSubject: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 9:42 pm

DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo

June 30, 2008 we will start the discussion.

Last edited by Geyla Queen on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Edina

Edina

Female
Number of posts : 589
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Tolerant
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: ‘Once upon a time, there lived a prostitute…..’   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Other thread is locked - So I'll start here:

Did you feel it was infatuation or love?
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 pm

the love with the painter? or the first love???
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 pm

still reading o! the persona is intriguing but practical. thnx e. smile_approve
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 pm

yoru slow mehn th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
krazzy

krazzy

Female
Number of posts : 2353
Say Whatever : your best friend can be your worst enemy and so forth..lol
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Sunshine
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 12:56 am

chay...da when i got dey book na. and my eyes bad..no reading at nite :D
Back to top Go down
Edina

Edina

Female
Number of posts : 589
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Tolerant
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 1:32 am

the first one...
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 1:37 am

i think it was just infatuation..... i wont say she felt real love till the painter....
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 12:12 pm

How yor will start

Me I on page 2.

We will start on June 30th, the thread will be unlocked at that time smile_approve

please I beg : beg
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm

talk na th_mrgreen

Ho Maria Maria
She reminds me of a west side story
Growing up in Spanish Harlem
She's living the life just like a movie star

Ho Maria Maria
She fell in love in East L.A.
To the sounds of the guitar, yeah, yeah
Played by Carlos Santana

Stop the looting, stop the shooting
Pick pocking on the corner
See as the rich is getting richer
The poor is getting poorer

Se mira Maria on the corner
Thinking of ways to make it better
In my mailbox there's an eviction letter
Somebody just said see you later

Ahora vengo mama chola mama chola
Ahora vengo mama chola

Ahora vengo mama chola

I said a la favella los colores
The streets are getting hotter
There is no water to put out the fire
Mi canto la esperanza

Se mira Maria on the corner
Thinking of ways to make it better
Then I looked up in the sky
Hoping of days of paradise

Ahora vengo mama chola

Maria you know you're my lover
When the wind blows I can feel you
Through the weather and even when we're apart
It feels like we're together
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 7:22 pm

^ ok, I just has to post that song because all through out the book it was running through my head....ok to back to the book (which I still reading).... I know...IT'S SHAMELESS!!!
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 7:18 pm

th_sorry I forgot to unlock the thread so we could talk about the book yesterday....so I apologize to all that came and could not post.
Back to top Go down
cajun2k2

cajun2k2

Female
Number of posts : 190
Say Whatever : Back home!!!
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Bookworm
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 11:58 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
^ ok, I just has to post that song because all through out the book it was running through my head....ok to back to the book (which I still reading).... I know...IT'S SHAMELESS!!!

Now I don't feel so bad, you're not the only one! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 6:31 pm

i guess we will be discussing june book in august
Back to top Go down
yummytommie

yummytommie

Female
Number of posts : 10
My Mood : DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Angelic
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 am

I think Eleven Minutes was a good read.
To see a prostitute find what appears to be "true" love was interesting.
When I read why the book was titled eleven minutes I thought back to my intimitate occassions....I think it's more than eleven minutes th_heart1
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 am

Totally agree.

Maria, the chaste, learned prostitute. Despite her countless sexual encounters and even her fascination with sadism, she was still a virgin – having never experienced sex in the context of love. It was also quite refreshing to read about a very intelligent and successful prostitute sans the normal morality rebuke and self-destructive attributes (alcoholism, drug addiction, etc)......

In the first few pages, Maria falls in love for the first time and experiences signs of impending womanhood (her cycle) and grieved the lost her “first love”. She craved being in love... Her innocence was squashed a bit too fast for my liking, although I felt her coping with all these seemingly inconsequential traumatic experiences almost prepared her for the blows life dealt her…. She eventually fell out of love with the thought of being in love and ended up being a lady of the night in a foreign land after being duped…

Still Maria made the most of her very unfortunate circumstance becoming a highly paid, very methodical prostitute,.driven by the goal of eventually returning to Brazil wealthy.... Totally unexpecting to, she fell in love.....Tho the ending was quite predictable, it was an intoxicating experice taking the ride with her as she explored her sexuality and embraced womanhood and falling in love....
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 am

candygirl wrote:
i guess we will be discussing june book in august
th_mrgreen alright oh bookworm
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 am

how well does Maria's story relate to reality nowadays. i mean we have some girl involve in prostitution for no genuine reason. whats the reason?
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Totally agree.

Maria, the chaste, learned prostitute. Despite her countless sexual encounters and even her fascination with sadism, she was still a virgin – having never experienced sex in the context of love. It was also quite refreshing to read about a very intelligent and successful prostitute sans the normal morality rebuke and self-destructive attributes (alcoholism, drug addiction, etc)......

In the first few pages, Maria falls in love for the first time and experiences signs of impending womanhood (her cycle) and grieved the lost her “first love”. She craved being in love... Her innocence was squashed a bit too fast for my liking, although I felt her coping with all these seemingly inconsequential traumatic experiences almost prepared her for the blows life dealt her…. She eventually fell out of love with the thought of being in love and ended up being a lady of the night in a foreign land after being duped…

Still Maria made the most of her very unfortunate circumstance becoming a highly paid, very methodical prostitute,.driven by the goal of eventually returning to Brazil wealthy.... Totally unexpecting to, she fell in love.....Tho the ending was quite predictable, it was an intoxicating experice taking the ride with her as she explored her sexuality and embraced womanhood and falling in love....

you are right J.

i admire the way Maria made her decision adn stuck to it..
also, its good to note that the author didnt make maria dwell on guilt and the feeling of "feeling sad for herself"

any others who have read this book yet so we can have an active discussion???
krazzy?
Flo???
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 8:31 pm

it IS an interesting story... maybe not to you.....
but i actually felt moved just reading about her courage... her desire to make the best out of a bad situation...

how many of us can do that? when faced with a possible insurmountable problem, a lot of us fold tail and run.. or bow to the problem... cry, shift blame.... withdraw...

maria cried yes.. but after those few minutes of tears, she wiped her tears, held her held up and said " how much will you pay again?" and moved on.

i learned from that book.... that we make our own paths.....
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 pm

candygirl wrote:
it IS an interesting story... maybe not to you.....
but i actually felt moved just reading about her courage... her desire to make the best out of a bad situation...

how many of us can do that? when faced with a possible insurmountable problem, a lot of us fold tail and run.. or bow to the problem... cry, shift blame.... withdraw...

maria cried yes.. but after those few minutes of tears, she wiped her tears, held her held up and said " how much will you pay again?" and moved on.

i learned from that book.... that we make our own paths.....

even though I still reading....I've read enough to make a comment th_mrgreen . The story was a bit dry to me.....It was like a comming of age story, of self discovery and parts was predicable. We all went through it...but the fact of the matter is we all have made bad choices and had to face up to the consequent.

Maria driving force "to me" was to please others...which too many people do. She didn't want to be failure in the eye of the people in her town/parent, it was like she was also desperate to get out of her town...just to say she left.

I knew that was a set up when she met that guy at the beach...I fully understand why she she "decided" to become a "prostitute" Rolling Eyes at first and getting that advice from her mother Laughing ...damn where is my book so I can qoute her...LOL

Maria had enough money to go back home, and start her farming business....she put he self at risk too many times...I think

Maria was just YOUNG, DUMB and full of CUM Laughing

ok this is all i'm going to say for right now smile_approve
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 9:16 am

I think the first advice Maria's mom gave her was "beauty never last but fades as time goes by" implying she should use it to her advantage while she still had it. Secondly, she told her daughter once she had a wealthy man, that was ok cuz love couldn't give you want you want.

I don't get why some mothers do that. I think it a double edge thing cuz just cuz her life story was messed up doesn't mean she should accept anything and at the same time it kinda prepares youfor the hard reality of true life in the world. I think Maria wanted more from life than just going back to start her farming cuz she knew what that had in store for her just like her mother's life and she wanted something more so she took the risk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)   DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08) Empty

Back to top Go down

DISCUSSION: Eleven Minutes - Paulo Coehlo (6-30-08)
Page 1 of 1