Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY

Go down 
+3
yummytommie
Queen_AKA
Geyla Queen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Empty
PostSubject: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptySun May 25, 2008 11:38 pm

Please post your suggestion(s) for our July reading in this thread.

Thanks

Last edited by Geyla Queen on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyMon May 26, 2008 1:33 am

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY 516ZTXXGQAL._SL160_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,15,-22_OU01_SL120_ Redemption Song by Bertice Berry

andVillage Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY 21N28RFP7GL._SL500_AA160_To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:53 am

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY C_0684832798
Sarah's Psalm

A Novel

by Florence Ladd

As the modern civil rights movement intensifies, Sarah Stewart finds herself leading a life of "Negro firsts." Not only is she a Harvard doctoral student in literature and a Wellesley graduate, she's married to an M.I.T. graduate student from a wealthy black family. All is perfect for Sarah, except for her growing obsession with Abrahim Mangane, a Senegalese writer and subject of her doctoral thesis. When she finally travels to Africa, meeting Mangane becomes a fantasy come true: he's handsome, brilliant, rich, and wants to help her in her career--a combination that threatens to change Sarah's life forever.
Back to top Go down
yummytommie

yummytommie

Female
Number of posts : 10
My Mood : Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Angelic
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:58 am

These are all excellent books. GQ I have a copy of To Kill a Mocking Bird. It would be good to read it again and get some dialogue from other points of view.
Reading the summary of Sarah's Psalm is intriguing. I like reading novels that uplift or tells a story about our successful people traveling to Africa (which I would love to visit).
I will vote from the current selection. I probably will read all three.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:24 am

yummytommie wrote:
These are all excellent books. GQ I have a copy of To Kill a Mocking Bird. It would be good to read it again and get some dialogue from other points of view.

I read To Kill a Mocking Bird way back when, I think it was in highschool. It was one of those FORCED reading and I don't think I fully appreciated the book back then. I do remember liking it though, but would love to read it again as a muture adult : smile_tongue
Back to top Go down
Bassa Queen

Bassa Queen

Female
Number of posts : 77
My Mood : Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Confused
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyThu May 29, 2008 4:40 am

I would definitely like to read "To kill a Mocking bird". I read that book in High School as well. I doubt I remember a thing about it, I think that will be a good book to read.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Corsic10

The Corsican Woman
(1988)
A novel by
Madge Swindells

Sybilia Rocca is beautiful, gentle and intelligent. But she is also Corsican and in her blood run the intense passions of her race ... passions that drive her to shoot her father-in-law before stunned witnesses in the small square of a sea-swept town set high on a Corsican cliffside. What is the terrible secret — the dark act of treachery twenty years before — that compels Sybilia to carry out her vendetta? Virtually everyone in the village knows, yet the unwritten law of their culture keeps them silenced. And now Sybilia is fighting for her life, gripped by a passion strong enough to destroy it ...
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 6:41 pm

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY N1353310

Hannibal Rising

(The fourth book in the Hannibal Lecter series) (2005) A novel by Thomas Harris

HE IS ONE OF THE MOST HAUNTING CHARACTERS IN ALL OF LITERATURE. AT LAST THE EVOLUTION OF HIS EVIL IS REVEALED.

Hannibal Lecter emerges from the nightmare of the Eastern Front, a boy in the snow, mute, with a chain around his neck. He seems utterly alone, but he has brought his demons with him. Hannibal's uncle, a noted painter, finds him in a Soviet orphanage and brings him to France, where Hannibal will live with his uncle and his uncle's beautiful and exotic wife, Lady Murasaki.

Lady Murasaki helps Hannibal to heal. With her help he flourishes, becoming the youngest person ever admitted to medical school in France. But Hannibal's demons visit him and torment him. When he is old enough, he visits them in turn.

He discovers he has gifts beyond the academic, and in that epiphany, Hannibal Lecter becomes death's prodigy.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 pm

candygirl wrote:
Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY N1353310

Hannibal Rising

(The fourth book in the Hannibal Lecter series) (2005) A novel by Thomas Harris

HE IS ONE OF THE MOST HAUNTING CHARACTERS IN ALL OF LITERATURE. AT LAST THE EVOLUTION OF HIS EVIL IS REVEALED.

Hannibal Lecter emerges from the nightmare of the Eastern Front, a boy in the snow, mute, with a chain around his neck. He seems utterly alone, but he has brought his demons with him. Hannibal's uncle, a noted painter, finds him in a Soviet orphanage and brings him to France, where Hannibal will live with his uncle and his uncle's beautiful and exotic wife, Lady Murasaki.

Lady Murasaki helps Hannibal to heal. With her help he flourishes, becoming the youngest person ever admitted to medical school in France. But Hannibal's demons visit him and torment him. When he is old enough, he visits them in turn.

He discovers he has gifts beyond the academic, and in that epiphany, Hannibal Lecter becomes death's prodigy.

I saw dey movie to this th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
cajun2k2

cajun2k2

Female
Number of posts : 190
Say Whatever : Back home!!!
My Mood : Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Bookworm
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Queen_AKA wrote:

Sarah's Psalm
A Novel

by Florence Ladd

As the modern civil rights movement intensifies, Sarah Stewart finds herself leading a life of "Negro firsts." Not only is she a Harvard doctoral student in literature and a Wellesley graduate, she's married to an M.I.T. graduate student from a wealthy black family. All is perfect for Sarah, except for her growing obsession with Abrahim Mangane, a Senegalese writer and subject of her doctoral thesis. When she finally travels to Africa, meeting Mangane becomes a fantasy come true: he's handsome, brilliant, rich, and wants to help her in her career--a combination that threatens to change Sarah's life forever.

This book sounds interesting...
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 am

Thanks cajun2k2. You can get a copy from Barnes and Noble.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 1:52 am

cajun2k2 wrote:
Queen_AKA wrote:

Sarah's Psalm
A Novel

by Florence Ladd

This book sounds interesting...

it does!! th_yes-1
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 4:13 am

I am liking Sarah's Psalm. The excerpt is leading me to get a copy for myself even if we don't vote for it. I want to see how the Senegalese capture her brain. Both men in her life are educated...
Back to top Go down
Queen_AKA

Queen_AKA

Female

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 5:24 am

Yes Bellah, I just started reading it and it is a very interesting book. You should definitely get a copy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY   Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY Empty

Back to top Go down

Village Book Club Suggestion(s) for JULY
Page 1 of 1