Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do you find this shirt offensive?

Go down 
+2
gadyu
Geyla Queen
6 posters

Yes~It's racist
Do you find this shirt offensive? Vote_lcap100%Do you find this shirt offensive? Vote_rcap
 100% [ 7 ]
No~It's fine
Do you find this shirt offensive? Vote_lcap0%Do you find this shirt offensive? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Do you find this shirt offensive? Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Do you find this shirt offensive? Empty
PostSubject: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Cobb County Bar Protested For 'Racist' Obama T-Shirts
UPDATED: 5:59 pm EDT May 13, 2008

Do you find this shirt offensive? Obama08

ATLANTA -- A Marietta tavern owner says the T-shirts he's selling that feature a cartoon chimp peeling a banana with the words "Obama '08" should not be causing any problems.
"This is 2008. If this was 1940-something, maybe. I don't see the big deal, I really don't," Mulligan's owner Mike Norman told Channel 2.
But many people do think it's a big deal. Critics say the shirts are an offensive stereotype from generations past.
"GALEO condemns the t-shirt as racist and highly offensive. As a private business, Mulligan's is free to conduct business as it chooses. However, as a community, we must unite against such intolerance. The t-shirt being sold is highly offensive and should not be sold any further," said Jerry Gonzalez, Executive Director for the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials in a statement.
The Anti-Defamation League also condemned the T-shirt being sold, saying it's, "An outrageous slur against Barack Obama and all African Americans."
"Mike Norman - the bar's owner - pretends he is shocked that people would be offended by the T-shirt," said Bill Nigut, ADL's Southeast Regional Director. "But he knows full well that the characterization of African Americans as monkeys is a highly offensive stereotype. Every time he sells one of the shirts he is happily sending a racist message out the door."
Channel 2's Manuel Bojorquez asked Norman why he chose Curious George. "I thought, man, look at those ears and his hair line and that's what I saw. I didn't see anything offensive," Norman said. He said he was not a racist.
Norman added the money from the sale of the shirts was being donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
"It's their right to protest my right to have that to say," Norman said. "I've had a lot of threatening calls. It's just a lot of stupidity."
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Do you find this shirt offensive? Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:25 pm

Somebody need to put up a poster of a black farmer standing by a scraped hog. We can send the money from the sale to Myanmar.

Do you find this shirt offensive? PigArt
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:27 pm

ONLY THING, WE DONT WANT TO BE LIKE THEM RACIST BIATCHES.....LOL
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:51 pm

I watched Special Victims Unit the other night and they refer to Africans as Bush Monkeys. That T Shirt was designed by a person who is a member of or connected to White Supremacists Group.
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Do you find this shirt offensive? Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:05 am

You know what? I actually see the ears and hairline similarity.

But It is just stupidity to think that the use of that monkey would not be quickly associated with the derogative connotation it has always held for black people.

I can't believe anyone could be so stupid in this age of enlightenment, but anything is possible. I am more inclined to believe that he knew and simply saw dollar signs, because he also knew how stupid people are in this age of enlightenment.Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:58 am

Funny, I met with someone from GALEO just last night and this matter did not come up. However, on my way from the airport to my hotel, I heard it being talked about on the radio. I definitely think it is purposefil and racist.
Back to top Go down
heru1976

heru1976

Female
Number of posts : 478
My Mood : Do you find this shirt offensive? Confused
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 3:00 pm

gadyu wrote:
I watched Special Victims Unit the other night and they refer to Africans as Bush Monkeys. That T Shirt was designed by a person who is a member of or connected to White Supremacists Group.

One of my favorite shows. I saw that episode when they called us bush monkeys and that is exactly what they were alluding to. Blacks has been known has monkeys since the first white man set foot on the African continent.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:02 pm

I find this shirt offensive...
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Do you find this shirt offensive? Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 9:15 am

Racist written all over it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?   Do you find this shirt offensive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1