Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show

Go down 
+3
Mrs.JAY
candygirl
rberry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Empty
PostSubject: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:09 am

(May 1, 2008) By: TEVAH PLATT

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Supermodel and TV star Tyra Banks will bestow high honors-- and a new car-- on a Staten Island dance teacher who does extraordinary work in her community.

Rose Kingston of Stapleton-- one of five women chosen from hundreds of candidates nationwide--will be featured on the "Tyra Banks Show" on Wednesday at 5 p.m. on My 9 New York.

Ms. Kingston is the founder of Bay Street's Century Dance Complex (CDC), and operates an after-school dance and academic tutoring program for Island youth.

Refugee children from war-torn regions of West Africa attend for free on sponsorships from the International Rescue Committee, while Ms.. Kingston waives the fees for children of refugees and keeps the cost of the program affordable to a diverse group of kids; bottom line, she's in it for the invaluable good she can do for children with serious needs.

The Advance profiled Ms. Kingston and her work at the CDC in December, when her students presented a Christmas concert that showcased both the steps they had learned and the camaraderie and poise they had developed by participating.

Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Rose%20Kingston

Ms. Kingston, 27, is herself a refugee of Liberia's civil war, who left a glossy Los Angeles dance career to establish her own studio in Stapleton in 2005.
Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show News_58

"I'm creating a safe haven for them," she had said of her work at the CDC. "Whatever their 'war' is, I want them to realize they are not alone."

Saleen Shah, a community organizer with the Manhattan-based Citizens Committee for New York City, nominated Ms. Kingston to be considered for the Tyra Banks Show after seeing her work on Staten Island first-hand in September.

"She was doing some of the most profound and meaningful work I had seen [on the North Shore]," said Shah. "She expressed a confidence and hope that is really rare in a quote-unquote distressed community. She had this quiet strength about her."

The producers of the "Tyra Banks Show" must have seen that same strength when they interviewed Ms. Kingston in Manhattan and came to her dance studio in late March to film her with her students.

And what's a talk show without big surprises?

Ms. Kingston can be seen on the show's Web site screaming with shocked delight as she receives a new Chevy Malibu. "I feel overwhelmed," said Ms. Kingston of her experience on the show.

"As far as the dance studio goes, I just feel like it's something that I'm supposed to do. I felt happy and thrilled and I felt like -- Oh my God -- Me?!" The CDC is holding a fund-raiser on Friday for their after-school program, to be held at Curtis High School at 7 p.m.

Ms. Kingston announced that the AEGON Insurance Co. has committed to match donations, dollar for dollar.

For information, call 718-501-2173.

Tevah Platt is a news reporter for the Advance. She may be reached at platt@siadvance.com.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:11 am

aye yah... thank God for her
Back to top Go down
Mrs.JAY

Mrs.JAY

Female
Number of posts : 344
My Mood : Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Breezy
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:25 am

"Ms. Kingston is the founder of Bay Street's Century Dance Complex (CDC), and operates an after-school dance and academic tutoring program for Island youth. "

Wonderful initiative!
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberianyouthnetwork.org
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:34 am

a good friend of mine is a part of this dance classs.
Ross, Linda is a member oh
Back to top Go down
heru1976

heru1976

Female
Number of posts : 478
My Mood : Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Confused
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:39 am

This is nice to see our people can fall but always get back up. No war will stop us. Good job Rose.
Back to top Go down
DSP

DSP

Male
Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:49 am

Great story! She's inspiring. I want to be like her.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:29 am

Thank you for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Edina

Edina

Female
Number of posts : 589
My Mood : Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Tolerant
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:25 am

Bravo!!! th_icon_clap they are not alone.

=======================================================

"I'm creating a safe haven for them," she had said of her work at the CDC. "Whatever their 'war' is, I want them to realize they are not alone."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show   Liberia's Rose Kingston was featured on the Tyra Bank Show Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1