Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feedback and Suggestions

Go down 
+7
McNeal
LadyFlo
RossWorld
Blaisdel Powell
rberry
gadyu
Geyla Queen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
diamondprincess

diamondprincess

Female
Number of posts : 69
Say Whatever : Don't come at me like you lost you lost your damn mind or I'm going to give you the business.
My Mood : Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Cheerful
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 am

My only suggestion for now is that we learn speak better english. I'm Liberian but I can't understand half the english written on here and we're from an English speaking country. Thanks all. We need to learn how to speak properly so that others can understand us...some of uf Liberians don't understand the so called Liberian broken english. Our broken english is such rubbish that hardly any other Africans can understand it, while we can clearly understand them when they speak in broken english.
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:46 am

diamondprincess wrote:
My only suggestion for now is that we learn speak better english. I'm Liberian but I can't understand half the english written on here and we're from an English speaking country. Thanks all. We need to learn how to speak properly so that others can understand us...some of uf Liberians don't understand the so called Liberian broken english. Our broken english is such rubbish that hardly any other Africans can understand it, while we can clearly understand them when they speak in broken english.

Liberian English is far from being rubbish my child.

It is a quite distinctive and rhythmic vernacular. The cadence and phrasing of Liberian English which actually has several forms, reflects a large and diverse portion of the people from the bush to the corporate offices of Liberia's capital city, Monrovia.

To disregard the vernacular as rubbish is insulting and denigrates the rich heritage, culture and values of a complicated and noble African nation.

If you are having trouble understanding the vernacular, stick around and listen small, small. Hurry hurry can bust trouser. The village is a wonderful place to learn the nuances of the culture you appear to be experiencing a disconnect from.

I would exercise discretion in disseminating suggestions without a bit more thoughtful consideration. In America we would say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." In Liberia we would say, "take time, before you spoil baboon baby mouth."

Peace,
Nica

Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
diamondprincess

diamondprincess

Female
Say Whatever : Don't come at me like you lost you lost your damn mind or I'm going to give you the business.

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks for the feedback, I do apologize if my comments came across as being harsh. It's just that I know we're capable of speaking so much better. My frustrations started when I started watching African movies, the Liberian movies to be more specific. I couldn't understand the actors at all. It's cool to speak the Liberian english amongst ourselves, but to go international with it in movies, when we want others and not just Liberians to see it is a complete joke. All I said and will continue to say is that, we need to speak better english so that everyone can understand us. What's the point of saying you're an english speaker when nobody else can understand it. I want everyone to be able to grab a copy of a Liberian movie and watch it and enjoy, but that's not possible if there's a language barrier.
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 2:36 pm

diamondprincess wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I do apologize if my comments came across as being harsh. It's just that I know we're capable of speaking so much better. My frustrations started when I started watching African movies, the Liberian movies to be more specific. I couldn't understand the actors at all. It's cool to speak the Liberian english amongst ourselves, but to go international with it in movies, when we want others and not just Liberians to see it is a complete joke. All I said and will continue to say is that, we need to speak better english so that everyone can understand us. What's the point of saying you're an english speaker when nobody else can understand it. I want everyone to be able to grab a copy of a Liberian movie and watch it and enjoy, but that's not possible if there's a language barrier.

No apology necessary. Nothing spoil. As an educator, I respect your your sentiment and respect for good grammar, but it saddens me that you use terms such as better when referring to standard English and joke when referring to Liberian English. Liberian English is not a vernacular that is worse than standard English. It is simply different and unique. There seems to be some sense of shame afflicting you surrounding the vernacular or the use of it.

It is absolutely advantageous for individuals of all nationalities to have a mastery of the English language especially when it is the predominate language in their respective countries. It is even more important as we are becoming more and more globally mobile and interactive as a human race.

Many Liberians are quite adept at switching between the use of standard English and Liberian English and are also aware of the proper time and place for each. It is very true that everything has its time and place. The Village is a prime example of a place in which Liberians should feel comfortable to use whichever they feel knowledgeable to do without judgement.

I love foreign movies, African, Hindi, Chinese, Latino...you name it. What I enjoy most about them is seeing the people portrayed in them as they are. I love the dialects and accents and unique characteristics of the people that make them who they are. Why would I want to see an Indian movie where the characters all sound and look American? Language is never a barrier to understanding, it is a bridge that we must often extend the effort to learn to cross.

I think there is nothing sadder than a person of international origin who has cast off the essence of what makes him what he is, of what signifies where he hails from. As you seek to learn and master the English language, and meld into the larger global community, seek also to learn and maintain a mastery of the dynamics of yourself. Reach out to those who can help to weave you into the magnificent tapestry of your own rich and vibrant culture. Take pride in the beauty of the rudiments of your ancestry and be sure to instill that pride in your children.

Nica
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
diamondprincess

diamondprincess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 3:04 am

Uh I wish yall would open up the book club, that's right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 pm

hahaha.. the book club.. i think we read and discussed two books... the difficulty came about with the liberia based folks ( like me, Flo, etc) accessing the books the others in the US wanted us to read and discuss....
Back to top Go down
diamondprincess

diamondprincess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 3:48 am

This can surely be worked out or can't it? Can we compromise on something; like take turns reading the book one group wants to read for this month, and the following month the other group gets a chance to read the book (s) they want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feedback and Suggestions   Feedback and Suggestions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Feedback and Suggestions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2