Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options? Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options? Empty
PostSubject: The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options?   The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options? EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I was under the impression that There was no option for Liberians to seek permanent status under the TPS stipulations.
But I read a fact sheet from The Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights that states the contrary. It was published in 2007. I am not understanding why the nearly 14,000 Liberians, in danger of DED have not been able to make use of these avenues or been made aware of their existence.
scratch

Full Article:
http://www.mnadvocates.org/sites/608a3887-dd53-4796-8904-997a0131ca54/uploads/Fact_Sheet_-_TPS_-_General.pdf

Excerpt:

What other immigration options do I have?

Some Liberians in the U.S. on TPS may be eligible for lawful permanent resident status (green cards) through petitions
by family members or employers. People do not need to choose between filing for asylum and filing for other permanent
immigration status.

It is critical that Liberians talk with an experienced immigration attorney right away to discuss all immigration
options and to get any papers filed. Do not rely on word of mouth or the experience of other people to make
your decisions - every case is different.

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF LEGISLATION TO PROVIDE PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS TO LIBERIANS?

Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) introduced S. 656, the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 2007, in the Senate on
February 16, 2007. This legislation would allow eligible Liberians living in the United States as of January 1, 2007, to
apply for lawful permanent resident status.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com

The Facts: TPS-What Are The Options?
Page 1 of 1