Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Taylor's son jailed for 97 years

Go down 
+3
Nica
Traveller
Geyla Queen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Empty
PostSubject: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 6:04 am

Taylor's son jailed for 97 years News_logo

"Chuckie" Taylor, the son of former Liberian President Charles Taylor has been sentenced by a US court to 97 years in prison for torture.
It is the first time a US court applied a 1994 law allowing the prosecution of citizens who commit torture overseas.
Chuckie Taylor, 31, who headed a notorious paramilitary unit during his father's rule, said he would appeal.
Charles Taylor is on trial at a court in The Hague - he denies 11 counts of crimes against humanity and war crimes.

US District Judge Cecilia M Altonaga imposed the sentence on Chuckie Taylor - whose real name is Charles McArthur Emmanuel - at a hearing in a Miami court.
Shackled and dressed in a prison jumpsuit Taylor showed no emotion or reaction at the sentence, but told Judge Altonaga he would swiftly appeal.
He also said he rejected an offer from prosecutors to plead guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence.
"My innocence was important to me then, as it is now," said Taylor.
"My sympathies go out to all the people who suffered in the conflicts in Liberia and Sierra Leone," he added.
"It is hard to conceive of any more serious offences against the dignity and the lives of human beings," Judge Altonaga said just before announcing the sentence. "The international community condemns torture," she added.
Torturing group
The prosecution had urged that Chuckie Taylor be sentenced to 147 years in prison.
Defence lawyers though had argued for leniency, arguing that many of the witnesses at his trial in October 2008 lied in a bid to win political asylum in the US or to settle political vendettas.
Chuckie Taylor as born in the US but after his father won Liberia's 1997 elections, he moved to the country and was made the head of the notorious Anti-Terrorist Unit (ATU) while in his early 20s.

This elite pro-government military division was widely feared in Liberia and the crimes were especially brutal when the unit was cracking down on a rebellion which began in 1999.
At his trial in Miami late last year, Chuckie Taylor was accused of committing or conspiring to commit executions, imprisoning a group of individuals in a hole in the ground, burning victims and administering electric shocks.
The jury made a direct link between some incidents of torture and the defendant.
Liberia is currently trying to recover from 14 years of conflict.
At nationwide hearings of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, victims are recounting the heinous crimes that tore the country apart.
Charles Taylor denies the charges he backed brutal rebels in neighbouring Sierra Leone.
He stepped down in 2003, as rebels advanced on the capital Monrovia.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/7820069.stm

Published: 2009/01/09 19:24:29 GMT

© BBC MMIX
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 am

th_goodbye Chucky!
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 am

I wanna see a picture of this dude
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:03 am

Traveller wrote:
I wanna see a picture of this dude

Taylor's son jailed for 97 years AP_US_ChuckieTaylor_Trial_2Court Room Drawing of Chuckie Taylor
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 am

I think justice has dually been served for the Liberian people with Chuckie Taylor's conviction. But I find it smacks of hypocrisy that the US would be trying and rendering verdicts on an alleged torturer when it's own perpetrators of the same act have yet to be scrutinized and brought to justice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 am

Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Chuckietaylor1
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 am

Jes like his father...First time an ordinary American has been found guilty of torture??
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 11:00 pm

well justice for those alive and dead that had to endure his atrocities..
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:25 pm

LadyFlo wrote:
well justice for those alive and dead that had to endure his atrocities..
smile_approve
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 pm

Justice
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Female
Number of posts : 303
Say Whatever : Failure is an event and not a person, be strong and show the real you to others.
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Chuckie is a wicked bitch and deserve it, people suffered due to his acts. On the other it was all because it was linked to his father rule or else.........................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taylor's son jailed for 97 years   Taylor's son jailed for 97 years Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1