Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Subtle and Deadly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Subtle and Deadly Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Subtle and Deadly Empty
PostSubject: Subtle and Deadly   Subtle and Deadly EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 8:54 pm

"A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honour." - Proverbs 29:23 (NIV)

C. S. Lewis offered an eye-opening perspective on pride. He believed that it lead to every other vice. Carefully consider his words: "Does this seem to you exaggerated? If so, think it over. I pointed out a moment ago that the more pride one had, the more one disliked pride in others. In fact, if you want to find out how proud you are, the easiest way is to ask yourself, 'How much do I dislike it when other people snub me or refuse to take any notice of me?' The point is that each person's pride is in competition with everyone else's pride. It is because I wanted to be the big noise at the party that I am so annoyed at someone else being the big noise. Now what you want to get clear is - pride is essentially competitive! It gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man. We say that people are proud of being richer, or cleverer, or better looking than others. If everyone else became equally rich, or clever, or good-looking, there would be nothing to be proud about. It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest."

Why does Solomon say a man's pride will bring him low? Because it's easy to fool someone who thinks himself clever. All you have to do is pander to his ego. Pride can blind you to your own faults, the clear teaching of Scripture, and the pitfalls that lie in your path. Be very careful of lurking pride. It can be subtle and yet so deadly.

Subtle and Deadly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberian-Village :: Liberian-Village Forums :: Inspirational Vitamin-
Jump to: