Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Praying Unlike Jesus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Praying Unlike Jesus Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Praying Unlike Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Praying Unlike Jesus   Praying Unlike Jesus EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am

"Now this is the confidence that
we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us." - I
John 5:14 (NKJV)

When it comes time to pray, sometimes the same people repeat the same prayers and everybody just assumes, "That issue/concern is taken care of!" But what if that prayer doesn't line up with God's will? The Apostle John tells us in the preceding verse "We can expect God to listen to our prayers whenever we ask, just as long as what we're petitioning for lines up with His will." There's a big difference between asking in line with God's will, and seeing God as some kind of genie that comes out of a bottle to grant our every wish. Many prayers reflect our will more than God's. Take for example the following:

The Trivial Prayer - We pray for good weather for our weekend outing, when God's got a bigger agenda. Maybe it hasn't rained and the farmer down the road needs water! Look for God's purposes in the reversals of your life and you'll turn them into stepping-stones to wisdom and maturity.

The Self-Centered Prayer - James 4:3 says "You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." One woman at a recent prayer group said, "My boyfriend's army unit just got called to the Middle East. Please pray he won't have to go." Now we can certainly understand her concern, but her request is a little misguided. He's a soldier; why should others go and not him? Our lives often include risk and hardship, so God promises protection, not immunity and comfort.

The Controlling Prayer - Jesus said, "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." (Luke 11:10) Why ask God to make people conform to your wishes when He doesn't even force them to conform to His?

Jesus taught us to pray "Your will be done." If it appears that God is not answering your prayers, you should ask yourself if you're praying "according to His will."

McNeal

McNeal

Male
Number of posts : 138
Say Whatever : The opposing wind, like a kite, will take me higher
My Mood : Praying Unlike Jesus Relaxed
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Praying Unlike Jesus   Praying Unlike Jesus EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Amen... and this has always been my prayer:

"Father, let Your will for my life be made manifest"
Back to top Go down
http://mcnealious.hi5.com
agatha

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Praying Unlike Jesus   Praying Unlike Jesus EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 pm

this reading really blesses me what you say is so true god bless you.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Praying Unlike Jesus Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Praying Unlike Jesus   Praying Unlike Jesus EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 pm

agatha wrote:
this reading really blesses me what you say is so true god bless you.

God bless you too smile_approve
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Praying Unlike Jesus   Praying Unlike Jesus Empty

Back to top Go down

Praying Unlike Jesus
Page 1 of 1