Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Olympic girl seen but not heard
From John Vause
CNN

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A little girl and her song captivated millions of viewers during the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics. But what they saw was not what they heard. Games organizers confirm that Lin Miaoke, who performed "Ode to the Motherland" as China's flag was paraded Friday into Beijing's National Stadium, was not singing at all.

Lin was lip-syncing to the sound of another girl, 7-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was heard but not seen, apparently because she was deemed not cute enough. angry1
"The reason was for the national interest," said Chen Qigang, the ceremony's musical director, in a state radio interview. "The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feeling and expression. ... Lin Miaoke is excellent in those aspects."

The decision was made at the highest levels, Chen said.

"We had to do it," he said. "We'd been through several inspections. They're all very strict. When we rehearsed at the spot, there were several spectators from various divisions, especially leaders from the Politburo, who gave the opinion it must change."

Few who watched the Olympic ceremony realized the deception. "Tiny singer wins heart of nation," read the headline in Tuesday's China Daily newspaper.
"Lin Miaoke might be only 9 years old but she is well on her way to becoming a star, thanks to her heartwarming performance," the article gushed -- without mentioning she never sang a note.

But as word has gotten out on the Internet, some Chinese bloggers are outraged.
"If you're not good-looking, no matter how well you sing, you'll not be onstage. Do you know you're twisting a whole generation?" read one comment.

Another said, "If foreigners found out, they'd think we can't even find a girl who is good at both."

As for Yang Peiyi, she's been quoted as saying she was honored to have had a role in the opening ceremony, even though few realized just how big her part really was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Art.lin.xinhua.ap
Lin Miaoke was the darling of the Olympic opening ceremony, but it turns out she was lip-syncing.

Last edited by Geyla Queen on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Art.girl.cctv
Yang Peiyi's voice was heard during Friday's opening ceremony, but her face was never seen.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:52 pm

Yang is a prettly little girl......What kind of message is this angry1 ....but then again it's China.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-05-02

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 10:19 pm

How awful..... They prob nah scar this child for life..
Back to top Go down
LovinLiberia

LovinLiberia

Female
Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2008-07-14

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 11:25 pm

So she's "cute enough" to be on TV, but yet she was cute enough for them to use her voice? They could've at least lied and come up with a better reason for all of this. I can imagine how all of this has lowered her self-esteem. GQ, I think Yang us pretty, too.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 11:27 pm

sad.... but then again, this is country that used bind the feet of their women so it can be size 2
Back to top Go down
Nica

Nica

Female
Number of posts : 1026
Say Whatever : Yes We Did!
My Mood : NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Mellow
Registration date : 2008-04-01

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 am

It's the same sad message we give in America to women of color and and those whose body types are not simliar to those on the covers of the top magazines or the current videos.

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.apublicsecret.com
Sponsored content

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOT PRETTY ENOUGH   NOT PRETTY ENOUGH Empty

Back to top Go down

NOT PRETTY ENOUGH
Page 1 of 1