Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen

Go down 
+6
singbe67
rberry
LadyFlo
Geyla Queen
candygirl
bellah
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen Empty
PostSubject: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 am

I am happy that a qualified young progressive has been appointed to head the Finance ministry. This is a strategic appointment for ma Ellen as she approach Election 2011. While early i was advocating for Alex Cuffy but i think Ngafuan is qualified for the job. I worked with Ngafuan at the level of SUP and ULSU at the University of Liberia. He is very articulate and hardworking..I applaud the appointment...

Last edited by bellah on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
My Mood : Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen Sad
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:55 am

bellah wrote:
I am happy that a qualified young progressive has been appointed to head the Finance ministry. This is a strategy appointment for ma Ellen as she approach Election 2011. While early i was advocating for Alex Cuffy but i think Ngafuan is qualified for the job. I worked with Ngafuan at the level of SUP and ULSU at the University of Liberia. He is very articulate and hardworking..I applaud the appointment...

i am happy for him too.
this is a real story of success from hard work adn smart brains... determination.
he has come a long way
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:58 am

Ngafuan Appointed Minister of Finance
Published: 05 August, 2008
Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen 12822.photo

Finance Minister designate and Budget Director Augustine Kpehe Ngafuan MONROVIA, Budget Director Augustine Kpehe Ngafuan has been appointed Minister of Finance by President Ellen.

Mr. Ngafuan's appointment came after he had displayed a splendid performance as Director General of the Bureau of Budget.
The young Liberian financial expert brought transparency to the budget process in the country, making it possible for all Liberians to openly debate and know what was in their annual fiscal budget.

It was during the administration of Mr. Ngafuan that the budget process became open to the extent that copies of the proposed and approved budgets were made available free of charge to all government agencies, civic organizations, schools, churches and media outlets including pressure groups and opposition political parties.

Speaking briefly after his appointment, Mr. Ngafuan said he was grateful for his preferment by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. He pledged to tackle corruption, pursue debt waiver, and expand the economy. Mr. Ngafuan also told the Daily Observer's economic reporter that he would foster sustainable reforms that would attract potential investors into the economy and create more jobs to support the country's Poverty Reduction Strategy.
If confirmed by the Liberian Senate, the 36-year-old native son of Lofa County will become the youngest Finance of Minister in the country's history.

According to an Executive Mansion release, others appointed by the President are Amara M. Konneh, Minister of Planning and Economic Affairs; Natty B. Davis, Minister of State without Portfolio; Dr. Amos C. Sawyer, Chairman, Governance Commission; and Betty Saway, who has been reappointed as member of the Central Bank Board of Governance.

All appointments, the Mansion said, are subject to confirmation by the Liberian Senate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:48 am

candygirl wrote:
bellah wrote:
I am happy that a qualified young progressive has been appointed to head the Finance ministry. This is a strategy appointment for ma Ellen as she approach Election 2011. While early i was advocating for Alex Cuffy but i think Ngafuan is qualified for the job. I worked with Ngafuan at the level of SUP and ULSU at the University of Liberia. He is very articulate and hardworking..I applaud the appointment...

i am happy for him too.
this is a real story of success from hard work adn smart brains... determination.
he has come a long way

This just goes to show our kids coming up nowadays that hardwork in studying etc does pay off in the end. Never settle for less and the sacrifices made o burn the candles etc studying will be worth it in the end.

now folks... whose prettier, the former or newly appointed
Newly appointed: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen 12822.photo OR FormerNgafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen 2785326703
th_mrgreen
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 8:21 pm

hahaha.. you are bad Lady Flo
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male
Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 pm

The Minister of Finance deals with finance and monetary matters of the Republic. Liberia needed someone with immense International Experience; someone with strong connection in the West. This brother seems to be smart, but he has never worked outside Liberia. Appoint the brother as the Deputy Minister of Finance, and have him work the International stage for a year or two years; then elevate him to the next level.

The Finance Minister is the Chief Financial Officer of the Republic of Liberia, and thus should have hands-on experience with markets and economies around the world. The Minister is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt.
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm

you have a point Rufus..
i am concern that he and Mawolo may not work well together..
mawolo was ok to work as deputy to Sayeh, but i doubt it will be rosy now...
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:32 pm

candygirl wrote:
you have a point Rufus..

BINGO..... I am disappointed that Ma Ellen would have made such a bold appointment, This brother's appointment sends a powerful message to the young people of Mama Liberian, that through hard work, anything is possible. At the same token, this appointment might not add any value to Liberia on the international stage. He's smart, and might be good manager, but taking into account Liberia's needs, Ma Ellen should have appointed someone that the international community could relate to. It's all about who you know, and who knows you. This was my experience from working in Silicon Valley as a Financial Analyst; it's all about Networking...

My congratulations to the brother, and I wish him well......
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:36 pm

rberry wrote:
candygirl wrote:
you have a point Rufus..

BINGO..... I am disappointed that Ma Ellen would have made such a bold appointment, This brother's appointment sends a powerful message to the young people of Mama Liberian, that through hard work, anything is possible. At the same token, this appointment might not add any value to Liberia on the international stage. He's smart, and might be good manager, but taking into account Liberia's needs, Ma Ellen should have appointed someone that the international community could relate to. It's all about who you know, and who knows you. This was my experience from working in Silicon Valley as a Financial Analyst; it's all about Networking...

My congratulations to the brother, and I wish him well......

you have a point there..
i think the two top Leaders at finance are too young to be solely in charge over there...
all respect adn admiration for the two brothers though.. just think someone more Seasoned would have been better for Finance for now....

the equation was balance when Sayeh was there adn could groom and guide and steer Tanu...
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm sure Ma Ellen knows exactly what she's doing, and we wish her well.. The Liberian people elected her because they felt she had what it took to work under pressure, and make sound decisions in the interest of the country.
Back to top Go down
singbe67

singbe67

Male
Number of posts : 201
Say Whatever : Life is a State of Mind
My Mood : Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen Relaxed
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 pm

I am kind of happy as this sends a message to us young people that honest hardwork does pay.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female
Number of posts : 323

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Can u tell us his background, prior to becoming Director General of the BB???? A 36 year old professional could truly have a wealth of experience. If he graduated college on time, he would have been working for at least 15 yrs.....
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Do you all know his background, prior to becoming Director General of the BB???? A 36 year old professional could truly have a wealth of experience. If he graduated college on time, he would have been working for at least 15 yrs.....

2000-2006 he worked as an Examiner, Banking Analyst and then Director for Manager for the banking sector at the Cental bank

his next job was as the Budget Director....

dont think he has ever worked outside Lib.....

not sayign he isnt qualified.. just te intl exposure .. i think that would be an added advantage.. for such a post.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 pm

I strongly disagree with CG and Berry as it relate to the appointment of Ngafuan on the account that he is young and has no international connection. First of all CG, Ngafuan and Mawollo were sup militant and they have worked together in the student melieu and i think they will get alone. The fact that he Mawollo was Deputy Finance Minister made him to have work with Ngafuan on several levels.

With respect to the international scene, i will like to say that he may not have that connection 100% but as Director of the Budget he deal with internal players at some level thereby making him fit to serve as Minister of Finance. The position of Minister is not for old guys cause we are in a new Liberia where ideas and political connection matters.

Ngafuan bring to the position his skill in financial management and politics. The guy can ably articulate the President financial policy and that is what matters........
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:10 pm

bellah wrote:
I strongly disagree with CG and Berry as it relate to the appointment of Ngafuan on the account that he is young and has no international connection. First of all CG, Ngafuan and Mawollo were sup militant and they have worked together in the student melieu and i think they will get alone. The fact that he Mawollo was Deputy Finance Minister made him to have work with Ngafuan on several levels.

With respect to the international scene, i will like to say that he may not have that connection 100% but as Director of the Budget he deal with internal players at some level thereby making him fit to serve as Minister of Finance. The position of Minister is not for old guys cause we are in a new Liberia where ideas and political connection matters.

Ngafuan bring to the position his skill in financial management and politics. The guy can ably articulate the President financial policy and that is what matters........

This is the beauty of this amazing village, we don't have to agree on everything thing yah... Doing 250M Budget analysis for Mama Liberia, isn't the same as creating budget for a Fortune 500 Firms yah... I would have been happy if this brother had spent at least one summer working in the US or so.. But again, Ma Ellen knows best.

It's 7:10 am in Cali, and I'm driving to working yah; will catch up with your in 25 minutes or so...
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 pm

bellah wrote:

you may be right on them having an easy and smooth working relationship. i know both men personally and they both have an easy going personality, so we shall see.

now regarding intl experience.. Bellah, if you say the guy didnt have the contact as BD... even at a national level.. da FM he will have it??
did you watch or follow the whole John Molu saga when he put the squeeze on the BB? you saw how Ngafuan reacted... esponded??
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:41 pm

candygirl wrote:
bellah wrote:
I strongly disagree with CG and
Berry as it relate to the appointment of Ngafuan on the account that he
is young and has no international connection. First of all CG, Ngafuan
and Mawollo were sup militant and they have worked together in the
student melieu and i think they will get alone. The fact that he
Mawollo was Deputy Finance Minister made him to have work with Ngafuan
on several levels.

With respect to the international scene, i
will like to say that he may not have that connection 100% but as
Director of the Budget he deal with internal players at some level
thereby making him fit to serve as Minister of Finance. The position of
Minister is not for old guys cause we are in a new Liberia where ideas
and political connection matters.

Ngafuan bring to the
position his skill in financial management and politics. The guy can
ably articulate the President financial policy and that is what
matters........

you may be right on them having an easy
and smooth working relationship. i know both men personally and they
both have an easy going personality, so we shall see.

now
regarding intl experience.. Bellah, if you say the guy didnt have the
contact as BD... even at a national level.. da FM he will have it??
did
you watch or follow the whole John Molu saga when he put the squeeze on
the BB? you saw how Ngafuan reacted... esponded??

How did he react?
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:42 pm

did you watch/follow it?
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 pm

No..... I just remember reading an interview in Frontpage...But no, I didn't really follow that whole debacle...Oh and I remember somebody hitting somebody else..Don't remember the details...
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 pm

hahaha.. no, he didnt hit him. hahhaa
but he was or seemd overwhelmed by the whole thing to me. he didnt hold up well at the senate hearing either. the then FM was the one who helped...as i remember it...

same with mawolo when he was recently summomed by the senate on the BRE contract.
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am

I am Pro-Ellen, but these are some of the juvenile decisions that could make ordinary Liberians question Ellen’s ability to be an effective leader in today’s Liberia. What in God’s name would have manipulated Ellen to make such an awful appointment?
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:21 am

Ngafuan engaged the AG and in term of serious policy debate, there was cordiality and disagreement. I think Saytumah was the one who screw up and got involve into fighting. The FM, AG and DB debated the budget and it was healthy for our country...I think the guy is ready mehn
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:34 am

rberry wrote:
I am Pro-Ellen, but these are some of the juvenile decisions that could make ordinary Liberians question Ellen’s ability to be an effective leader in today’s Liberia. What in God’s name would have manipulated Ellen to make such an awful appointment?

Ngafuan has the requisite credential brother...The appointment is not awful...FM got to be Wilson Tarpeh, Bestman, Nathan Barnes for you tobe satisfied... This is our time and Ellen wants to position herself for 2011 with respect to the young generation of Liberia,,
Back to top Go down
rberry

rberry

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 am

bellah wrote:
rberry wrote:

Ngafuan has the requisite credential brother...The appointment is not awful...FM got to be Wilson Tarpeh, Bestman, Nathan Barnes for you tobe satisfied... This is our time and Ellen wants to position herself for 2011 with respect to the young generation of Liberia,,

Ellen could have appointed someone with real world experience, like Rhoda Weeks-Brown or Emira Woods, Lionel Brown, Isaac Tukpah. Rhoda is young and currently work as the Assistant General Legal Counsel at the International Monetary Fund (IMF). She also served as one of Bill Clinton lawyers during the impeachment process. Harvard Law graduate, work for many years at a Prestigious DC Law Firm, and has the connections at the World Bank and IMF.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 am

Does either Elmira or Rhoda have a background in Finance?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen   Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen Empty

Back to top Go down

Ngafuan appointed Finance Minister by Ma Ellen
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next