Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers

Go down 
+5
Philomath
gadyu
LovinLiberia
Traveller
Geyla Queen
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Empty
PostSubject: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:20 am

The NEWS (Monrovia)

16 July 2008
Posted to the web 16 July 2008
Benjamin B. Sworh

Monrovia

The Liberian Senate has concurred with the House of Representatives on the passage of the Armed Robbery Act into law indicating that guilty armed robbers would be put to death by hanging.

The Senate concurred with the House at its regular session held behind closed doors Tuesday following months of hitches at the Capitol. The Act seeks death penalty for guilty armed robbers depending on the gravity of the case.

Following the closed doors session, Senate Pro-Tempore Isaac W. Nyenabo said the senators concurred with the House to ensure that armed robbers who are bent on terrorizing peaceful citizens face the full weight of the law. He said though Liberia was a signatory to the international convention that forbids death penalty, but noted that such convention could not take effect because it has not been ratified by that august body. Pro-Tempore Nyenabo noted that the protocol should be ratified by the Legislature before any of its provisions can take effect.

"The international protocol does not go along with the Liberia Penal Code and so we will review it before any implementation," he said.

He called on the Judicial and the Executive branches of government to enforce the law, and ensure that any armed robbers found guilty will be dealt with in accordance with the law. he Senate Pro-tempore also warned individuals engaged in armed robbery to desist.

In recent days, there has been an upsurge in the cases of armed robbery activities in Monrovia and other communities with armed men raiding the homes of peaceful citizens in the Paynesville neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:30 am

What kind of nonsense is this? HANGING!!!!! Liberia just going farther and farther back in time...I sware
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
................ The Act seeks death penalty for guilty armed robbers depending on the gravity of the case............

I'm not a fan of capital punishment but I'm curious to learn what the various penalty enhancements will be.
Back to top Go down
LovinLiberia

LovinLiberia

Female
Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:04 am

Geyla Queen wrote:
What kind of nonsense is this? HANGING!!!!! Liberia just going farther and farther back in time...I sware

Yeah, the hanging is a little backwards and too strict of a punishment.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Number of posts : 2243
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru
My Mood : Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Flirty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 am

I think they should hang them with twine. Drastic measures for drastic times. If you been a victim before then you will know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushchicken.com
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Number of posts : 306
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.
My Mood : Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Happy

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Geyla Queen wrote:

I think the hanging is meant for the criminal to feel the pain before dying and I support Gadyu suggestion about the twine. I really admire the decision made by the house.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/handsomemetzger
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 pm

gadyu wrote:
I think they should hang them with twine. Drastic measures for drastic times. If you been a victim before then you will know.

dats true. but we cant do the electric chair of injection here yet. not enough electricity for homes yet to be wasting some on criminals.....
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male
Say Whatever : “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the tru

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 pm

LadyFlo wrote:
gadyu wrote:

dats true. but we cant do the electric chair of injection here yet. not enough electricity for homes yet to be wasting some on criminals.....

We can do the electric pole, let us send them to go work for LEC and send them to steal current.....lol
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male
Say Whatever : Hard work plus intelligent minus foolishness is equal to success.

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Laughing The electric pole sounded funny to me because I know a guy who fell from the pole at least 2 times after being electrocuted.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Philomath wrote:
Laughing The electric pole sounded funny to me because I know a guy who fell from the pole at least 2 times after being electrocuted.

Well, the current in LiB not ston enouff to electrocute so they have to climb the pole and then fall to the ground and break a bone or neck...lol
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 pm

gadyu wrote:
Philomath wrote:

Well, the current in LiB not ston enouff to electrocute so they have to climb the pole and then fall to the ground and break a bone or neck...lol

Yeah, maybe they should add more voltage or allow them to climb a higher pole then the usual ones.
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 am

LadyFlo wrote:
gadyu wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:17 am

Philomath wrote:
Geyla Queen wrote:

I think the hanging is meant for the criminal to feel the pain before dying and I support Gadyu suggestion about the twine. I really admire the decision made by the house.

I'm not saying they should not be punished, but HANGING in the year 2008..come on yor. I'm sorry, it just take me back to the slavey days angry1 .

Da Africa huh...so I guess it better when another black man to hang you vs a white man huh? scratch
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:17 am

GQ always laughing at our country....swear...jes because she Akata naw..GQ, how about one of those arm robbrs, going to a famuily member's home, kililng somebody for the bag of rice behind the door...what would you say would be good for him? th_ROFLMAO
Back to top Go down
candygirl
Admin
candygirl

Female
Number of posts : 5916
Say Whatever : Laughter is the best medicine
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:20 am

GQ, for what these wicked peopel do, hanging is a blessing an easy way out to me.

i think convicted armed robbers should be dealt with by the angry mob.

you have no idea the kind of fear these peopel got us in, in this town.
Back to top Go down
gadyu

gadyu

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:22 am

GQ, I have seen your pic before, so I wouldnt know if I have seen you in the marches of the PETA people. If you want to belong to a movement, I suggest you forget about protecting arm robbers against hanging and go join PETA.
Back to top Go down
Traveller

Traveller

Male
Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 am

Seems to me the law regardign capital punishment has not really changed here. The new law simlpy enhances the penalty if in the act of committing a robbery, someone is killed.
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 am

candygirl wrote:
GQ, for what these wicked peopel do, hanging is a blessing an easy way out to me.

i think convicted armed robbers should be dealt with by the angry mob.

you have no idea the kind of fear these peopel got us in, in this town.
Jungle justice is sweet to watch but it tears down the country. I love seeing criminals receiving their lay thing from angry civilians. That could be a good idea but I think it's over the top.
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male
Number of posts : 1605
Say Whatever : \
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:58 am

WE HAVE NO PLACE FOR JUNGLE JUSTICE IN A CIVILIZED SOCIETY...GOL HAS TO WORK WITH UNMIL IN EMPLOYING MORE POLICE MEN TO MAN THE COUNTRY. WE NEED MORE 911 ON THE STREETS OF LIBERIA.

WE ALSO NEED TO TRAIN CIVILIAN VIGILANTES AND HAVE THEM TAKE CARE OF THEIR BACKYARD....I OPPOSE THE DEALTH PENALTY
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:07 am

bellah wrote:
WE HAVE NO PLACE FOR JUNGLE JUSTICE IN A CIVILIZED SOCIETY...GOL HAS TO WORK WITH UNMIL IN EMPLOYING MORE POLICE MEN TO MAN THE COUNTRY. WE NEED MORE 911 ON THE STREETS OF LIBERIA.

WE ALSO NEED TO TRAIN CIVILIAN VIGILANTES AND HAVE THEM TAKE CARE OF THEIR BACKYARD....I OPPOSE THE DEALTH PENALTY
What will be your best suggestion as it relates to the penalty for armed robbers since you oppose the death penalty?
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 am

Philomath wrote:

He had African witch......I heard about that story mehn. Liberia should abide by international protocol that they sign or else legal scholar will be on the side of convicts who are schedule to be hanged. Ignorant of the Law is no excuse...and hope our Law maker and president will consult with legal scholars before passing the bill into Law.

When i was in Saigon we had similar arm robbery problem and all we did was to establish community vigilante in consultation with Ecomog. It worked out very well.

Another thing is "what is the cause of the arm robbery"???? We need to explore that and see how we morally address the issues from other perspectives........
Back to top Go down
bellah

bellah

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:26 am

Philomath wrote:
bellah wrote:

What will be your best suggestion as it relates to the penalty for armed robbers since you oppose the death penalty?

My suggestion are as follows:

GOL in collaboration with UNMIL employ more police men to man the streets of Liberia;
GOL seriously address the issue of unemployment in Liberia instead of paying internal debt to their relatives;
We all should mobilize resources to help our suffering brothers in Liberia recover from economic hardship. It because things are hard that why these guys are arm robbing.
GOL in consultation with UNMIL should allow the various community to setup commnity Vigilantes to man their backyard.
GOL should seriously re-introduce the open door policy so as to encourage private investment in country...The country lack electricity and other basic things so it is incumbent upon the GOL to do something that motivate investor in the country and thereby jobs will be created... more to be done and we all need to be involve in the process...
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 am

[quote="bellah"]
Philomath wrote:

He had African witch......I heard about that story mehn. th_ROFLMAO lol!
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 am

bellah wrote:
Philomath wrote:

He had African witch......I heard about that story mehn. Liberia should abide by international protocol that they sign or else legal scholar will be on the side of convicts who are schedule to be hanged. Ignorant of the Law is no excuse...and hope our Law maker and president will consult with legal scholars before passing the bill into Law.

When i was in Saigon we had similar arm robbery problem and all we did was to establish community vigilante in consultation with Ecomog. It worked out very well.

Another thing is "what is the cause of the arm robbery"???? We need to explore that and see how we morally address the issues from other perspectives........
If legal scholars are among convict schedule to be hanged, I'll ask them how they manage to get involve because the government is not hunting people who criticize her. The bill was presented to the house some weeks or month(s) ago and was under review. The increase in armed robbery is what prompted the house to come out with the release we are now discussing.

Vigilante groups were set up on some communities and you can tell that it is not helping from the increase in armed robbery. I truly that the decision made by the house is the right one because those guys are desperate when they move on you and can do you any harm just to get what they want.

I’ll tell you that the major reason behind the increase is that those guys want to get things easily. Majority of them are ex-combatant and I will say that they do not need help. UNMIL came out with a beautiful program for the ex-combatant to learn some thing for the future challenge but they abuse the program. They were receiving 30USD on a monthly basis and go to any school of your choice. The sensible ones made good use of the program and the dummies sold the card and bought drugs. How will you give a man job who does not know anything while those scholars are finding it hard to get a job? That is the root cause of the increase I noticed so far.
Back to top Go down
Philomath

Philomath

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:52 am

bellah wrote:
Philomath wrote:
bellah wrote:

My suggestion are as follows:

GOL in collaboration with UNMIL employ more police men to man the streets of Liberia;
GOL seriously address the issue of unemployment in Liberia instead of paying internal debt to their relatives;
We all should mobilize resources to help our suffering brothers in Liberia recover from economic hardship. It because things are hard that why these guys are arm robbing.
GOL in consultation with UNMIL should allow the various community to setup commnity Vigilantes to man their backyard.
GOL should seriously re-introduce the open door policy so as to encourage private investment in country...The country lack electricity and other basic things so it is incumbent upon the GOL to do something that motivate investor in the country and thereby jobs will be created... more to be done and we all need to be involve in the process...
Those are all good points, but how will investors be encourage to invest in the country when you are hearing about armed robbery on a daily basis? I haven't heard or read anything about government paying internal debt to their relatives, maybe you are right. The economic is attractive to investors at present, what is holding them back is the security situation (armed robbery). I think the open door system is still ongoing and I remember GOL trying to repeal the Liberianization policy to attract investors as well but it was strongly criticized by the LMA and the general public. The GOL took back their actions because it wasn't in the interest of Liberians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers   Death By Hanging for Armed Robbers Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next