Liberian-Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Liberian-Village

A social network forum where we discuss various issues as they relate to our Liberian society, culture, arts and entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

14 hot summer reads

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Geyla Queen
Admin
Geyla Queen

Female
Number of posts : 6443
Say Whatever : I'm still holding on.
My Mood : 14 hot summer reads Worried
Registration date : 2008-03-28

14 hot summer reads Empty
PostSubject: 14 hot summer reads   14 hot summer reads EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 am

14 hot summer reads The-Root-Logo Page Burners
Fourteen hot reads to go wherever summer takes you.
MSNBC.com
Updated: 2:30 PM ET Jul 3, 2008

July 4, 2008-- Whether it's on the beach blanket or the porch swing—or, for those with little or no vacation time, the commuter train—summertime provides a kind of natural blank slate. Maybe it's because all your favorite shows are in reruns and the summer movies leave you cold, but suddenly you feel you have time to embark upon all that reading you've been planning to do since Christmas. Accordingly, now is when all the magazines and newspapers come out with their lists of the summer's best books. How could The Root not join them?
Ours is a bit different, though; we're not limiting our list to the newest of the new, the brand-spanking blockbuster hard-covers published in the past two months that promise (or at least hope) to be best sellers. We've opened it up to books published in the last couple of years, including several new in paperback (the better to hold in one hand while fanning oneself with the other).
And we're not focusing on best sellers, though some of these books might be (and others ought to be). Instead, these are some of the books we think will fill that summertime headspace with ideas and images to propel you through the months ahead. Some are as light as a June breeze, others as intense as a July thunderstorm, but we hope you'll find among them a few you can throw into your weekend bag as you head to wherever your summer takes you.
Fiction:
14 hot summer reads The%20Untelling-edit1

The Untelling , Tayari Jones (336 pages, Grand Central Publishing, $19.99) Jones' second novel showcases her talent for telling lyrical, well-observed stories of women facing difficult choices.
14 hot summer reads Them-covermedium

Them , Nathan McCall (352 pages, Atria, $25) Who knew the suburbs would be the setting for the next great racial conflicts? Um, everyone? McCall, author of the prize-winning Makes Me Wanna Holler, takes aim at middle-class racial mores.
14 hot summer reads Pleasure-covermedium

Pleasure , Eric Jerome Dickey (449, Dutton, $24.95) Okay, so you say you want a beach book? A really, goofy, sexy, mindless kind of book to throw into your bag, read while lounging, use to hold down the corner of your towel when you're done? Look no further than this tale of a New Age-y woman on an epic sexual odyssey.
14 hot summer reads Slumberland-covermedium

Slumberland , Paul Beatty (256 pages, Bloomsbury, $24.99) In this new novel by the author of White Boy Shuffle, a musical mystery sends one DJ Darky to late '80s Berlin. This book has serious buzz.
14 hot summer reads Say%20your%20one%20of%20them-covermedium

Say You’re One of Them , Uwem Akpan (368 pages, Little, Brown and Company, $23.99) This debut story collection by a Jesuit priest from Nigeria shows us cultural collisions from all over Africa, many times featuring children and serves as a powerful counter-argument to those who would see the continent as homogenous, tragic or irredeemable.
14 hot summer reads Wrack%20and%20Ruin-covermedium

Wrack & Ruin , Don Lee (336 pages, W.W. Norton, $23.95) A funny, mysterious romp featuring a multicultural cast of characters, a crop of Brussels sprouts and some killer weed.
14 hot summer reads New%20England%20White-covermedium

New England White , Stephen Carter (640 pages, Vintage, $14.95) This follow-up to Carter's The Emperor of Ocean Park inhabits the same black upper-crust milieu, making it a legal/academic thriller perfect for poolside page-turning.
Nonfiction:
14 hot summer reads Lopsided-covermedium

Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be Really Distracting , Meredith Norton (224 pages, Viking, $24.95) Rarely is a memoir of illness this funny, and rarer still is the story told of a black woman with breast cancer (despite black women bearing a great risk of contracting the disease). Norton's debut makes one hope for more work, focusing on her healthy, post-cancer life.
14 hot summer reads Ralph%20Ellison-covermedium

Ralph Ellison: A Biography , Arnold Rampersad (704 pages, Vintage Paperback, $17.95) In this masterful life story of one of black America's best writers, Stanford don Rampersad brings to bear all his lit-crit brilliance and an enormous sensitivity toward his often irascible subject.
14 hot summer reads Slavery%20by%20Another%20Name-covermedium

Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II , Douglas A. Blackmon (480 pages, Doubleday, $29.95)If both David Levering Lewis and Charles Ogletree tell you, in their blurbs, that something should be "required reading," you better take notice. Yeah, it's not a beach book (unless you're trying to attract the attention of any wandering black Harvard law students while cooling off at Walden Pond), but if you take American history seriously, this is one you can't ignore.
14 hot summer reads Medical%20Apartheid%20book-edit2

Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present , Harriet M. Washington (528 pages, Harlem Moon, $15.95)Another book to outrage, not comfort, but it's a history nobody can afford to forget, especially if this year's election continues to touch on race and memory (and health care).
14 hot summer reads All%20things%20must%20fight%20to%20live-covermedium

All Things Must Fight to Live, Bryan Mealer (320 pages, Bloomsbury, $24.99) Mealer, an AP reporter based in Kinshasa, has produced a stunning picture of Congo, a country of great beauty that has endured more than a decade of Africa's most destructive war.
…And the winners are…
The history of the Pulitzer Prize is illustrious, it is grand, and it is very, very white. This year's winners in fiction and poetry are both brilliant, young and of color. Each has produced a book not just for this summer's reading list, but for your lifetime list.
14 hot summer reads Wonderous-edit2
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz (352 pages, Riverhead, $24.95) An exhilarating, hilarious, heartbreaking tale of a Dominican "ghetto nerd" making his way through.
14 hot summer reads Native-edit1
Native Guard, Natasha Tretheway (64 pages, Houghton Mifflin, $22) The poet confronts history, both personal and public, and the whole tangled universe that is The South.
Kate Tuttle is a writer and editor outside Boston.
Also on The Root:
More summer fun with The Root's summer music guide, a recipe for a summer salad, and The Den's list of cool summer drinks.
Return to The Root Homepage.

URL: http://www.theroot.com/id/47121

© TheRoot.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.liberian-village.com/
LovinLiberia

LovinLiberia

Female
Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: 14 hot summer reads   14 hot summer reads EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:13 am

I see a few on this list that I would love to add to my enormous book collection.
Back to top Go down
LadyFlo

LadyFlo

Female
Number of posts : 2224
Say Whatever : Luv me as I am cuz u can't be me and I can't and don't wanna be u!
My Mood : 14 hot summer reads Sad
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: 14 hot summer reads   14 hot summer reads EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 am

they all seem quite interesting. gotta pick up my reading pace again. hey G, will any of these be in the next month book club voting?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14 hot summer reads   14 hot summer reads Empty

Back to top Go down

14 hot summer reads
Page 1 of 1